silverstar halogen lightbulbs

leafman60

Ok, guys ( maybe a girl or two?), have you checked out the new Sylvania (Osram in Europe) Silverstar halogen bulbs which are available in H-4?? There's both a "motorcycle" H-4 and a standard 9003 H-4. They look identical to me. Most of the time, these "brighter" bulbs are BS but these seem to be legit. In fact, the blue-tinted globes on some bulbs actually diminish your light perceived light projection. I'm privy to mucho discussion in my Guzzi with hanging tits :-) world about the Silverstars and they seem to be the next best thing to HID. Several people have set up home test and swear they carry light further. I bought some and put one in my Scura. Its definitely a much whiter light and simply looks brighter. Its the stock 55-60 watt rating so nothing is stressed. The going price in US is about $20 each. The Advance Auto Parts chain is running a sale> buy one, get another for 50% off plussss get a $6 rebate.

By the way, another popular fix among the more anal species of Guzzi with hanging tits :-) riders (when we arent dealing with failing rear drive units) is to direct wire your headights with 12-14 ga wire. They swear that this dimishes the voltage drop inherent in most stock wiring systems and gives you noticeably brighter light up front. You simply run a 12 or 14 from the battery (fuse it) and put a 30 amp light relay inline to the bulb. Then attach the existing light wires to the relay to trigger it to close when the lights are supposed to be on.

I've been thinking those bulbs are worth a try. The higher wattage certainly should make them a bit brighter without going to 80/100 which I have found increases heat and draw too much.

I guess it will be easy enough to upgrade my 16 guage power wire to 14 if the voltage drop is significant. ( See the thread on Relay Failures)

BTW, Al, where can you get those "AMP Superseal water tight connectors?" I found one source but realy don't need 3500 of them. That would definately be the best connector for the hot wire to the headlamp.

(Remember the hardest thing about electrical changes is getting the smoke back in the wires! :rasta::rasta::rasta: )

Guest jlburgess

I've been running a similar "super white" bulb for two years. It's the same wattage 55/60 as standard and definately makes a difference in visability. No drawbacks except the high cost means a bad day when it finally breaks. I think it was about 40 bucks from Cascade Moto Classics in Portland, Oregon. :bike:

BTW, Al, where can you get those "AMP Superseal water tight connectors?" I found one source but realy don't need 3500 of them. That would definately be the best connector for the hot wire to the headlamp.

Summit Racing Catalog (www.summitracing.com)

They come as a kit, as a pack of "100" (or so) connectors for about $50. Then you have to spend another $50 for the crimper, and extractor tools, which are well worth the money.

Summit Racing Equipment

SUM-900401 Pin Crimping Tool, Open Barrel Weather Pack Connector, 5-Nest Today $31.95

SUM-900402 Pin Tools, Weather Pack Connector, Extractor & Picks, 3-Piece Today $8.95

SUM-900403 Starter Kit, Weather Pack Connector, Asst. 4 Pin/3 Pin/2 Pin/1 Pin, 101-Pieces Today $49.95

al