Bike won't start

tmcafe

Granted I haven't started it for quite a while (late fall). Not on battery tender but light came on fine, gas pump noise (at least the first time I turned the key on), horn, turn signals, only no starter action whatsoever. I also checked the obvious kill switch. Does it need a whole lot more juice to turn the starter that the appearance of the other electricals? Sorry if it's a silly question.

Checking the battery voltage with a digital meter would be helpful. Otherwise,  turn the bars fully left and right thumbing the starter. If it bumps, there is a connection problem with the clutch switch wiring.

Thanks. A good reason to find my meter in some of the garage boxes I haven't opened since I moved.  :homer:

As far as the handlebar and connection, I've had that problem before and the contacts have been replaced. But I'll try again just in case.

I suspect it might be the voltage since the pump priming noise didn't come back on subsequent tries.

Unless your battery is a late battery you should always hear the pump and also a click at least from the starter. No pump and no reaction at all from the starter in my eyes rather is a problem with the above mentioned connectors or the relais sockets. Check the sockets first.

Besides that, keeping the Hawker well charged is always a good idea. They might be strong, nevertheless they're well on the short side of what a good V2 would need.

Hubert

• Like 1

Unless your battery is a late battery you should always hear the pump and also a click at least from the starter. No pump and no reaction at all from the starter in my eyes rather is a problem with the above mentioned connectors or the relais sockets. Check the sockets first.

Besides that, keeping the Hawker well charged is always a good idea. They might be strong, nevertheless they're well on the short side of what a good V2 would need.

Hubert

Thanks. I forgot which brand the battery is but it's the original one I got from new with the bike in Sep of 2007. I tried again today and I could hear the pump and the click from the starter relay (I pulled out and reinserted before that). I'll try to find my charger and charge the battery before I look into more.

2007? your battery is probaly on it's last charge and dying if not dead already.

Possible and likely but I have the original Spark 500 in my '02. As long as you give it an overnight charge if it's been sitting for more than a couple weeks, it starts right up! So HOW the battery is cared for is as important as how OLD it is.

Starter switch connector under the front of the tank maybe?

Mine does that from time to time... turn the handles, put my hand under there and wiggle cables around a bit... usually starts right up.

Sitting out the winter could have caused a bit of oxydation.