handling question....

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

ok...so..let me ask ya'll something...

I got the chance to get out for a few hours in the moderatly nice day in Seattle today. I went out to a few of my favorite little twisties, and thought I'd really concentrate on some road skills. (have I mentioned I love my Gerbing Heated Clothes/gloves lately?) :)

now..it's either my imagination, or my need for more training, but it just seems like Left Hand curves/leans are harder to control the Right Handers. I try to be very concious of putting equal countersteering pressure on the bars in both types of curves. I always use my knees into the tank as well.

Lefties always seem a little squirly compared to righties. I've adjusted the rear suspension a little bit to make it a tad softer (it was WAY to hard and bouncy from the factory setup).

any thoughts?

Dave, you're obviously a staunch Republican :P and will never feel comfortable leaning to the left...

Actually, I have heard that an acquired characteristic of motorcycle riders is a reluctance to lean left as far as to the right because of the side stand. I don't know that I'd give that too much credence though. Personally, I do better on right hand curves simply because I know that no part of my body is hanging into oncoming traffic (let someone that drives on the "wrong" side of the road jump in here with their assessment of whether that's logical). Then again, maybe the torque reaction of a Guzzi has some effect here.

The crown of the road may also have an effect, but it is normal to have a favorite side.

When I was a kid I could only do donuts to the left, and lock up the rear wheel and slide the rear out to the right.

Now I can't do donuts to the left or right and eating donuts is bad for my Cholesterol level. :(

You might check your tire wear. Some tires give me cupping on the left side of the front tire and that throws off my comfort level on left turns.

Checking alignment is trickier and if you did not drop your bike it is probably fine and your riding skills are just rusty.

The entire driveline is mounted 12 mm to the right. That along with the driveshaft and bevel box being mounted so low on the right, I would think a discerning rider could feel the asymmetry. :bike:

The crank, flywheel/clutch all spinning along f/r axis pull it down or push it up depending on right or left corner & revs throttle on/off...it's noticeable just blipping the throttle stationary in neutral. Try it airborne over a hump back bridge at speed... :wacko:

You don't have roundabouts over in the States do you?

KB, Cymru :sun:

I though it was only the 1100sport/daytona's were mounted 20mm to the right to get the shaft around the wider rear tyre. One of the main features of the V11 is the 6 speed box with the outpur shaft a further 30mm to the right when compared to the five speeder thus elimnating the need for such antics on the frame engineering. As the the orginal problem concentrating on how much force you are putting in through the bars is asking for trouble. If you get water thats pretty close to body temperture dip the index finger of one hand in it, it will feel hot or cold. Remove the first and dip the index finger of the other hand and it won't feel the same. Look around the corner and set the bike to go around it don't worry about how hard you are or arn't pushing on the bars adjust the bike to go where you are going smooth steady power application also helps.

I have found tyres worn more to the left than the right I thing this is from getting ont he power slightly eariler as the longtiudal crank tends to stand the bike up out of left handers. Certianly not a noticable on the road. If the suspesion seems too bounce thats a indication of a lack of dampening for the spring setting rather than a too harder spring.

The entire driveline is mounted 12 mm to the right. That along with the driveshaft and bevel box being mounted so low on the right, I would think a discerning rider could feel the asymmetry.

I must not be very discerning. I rode my V11 Sport 2000 miles after my accident with a bent frame. There was quite a noticeable bend to the left on the spine back where the gusseting for the headstock ends. The bike tracked straight and true, hands off even, at 90 mph.

[The crown of the road may also have an effect, but it is normal to have a favorite side.]

Sorry, I never could get the hang of quoting properly on this site. Anyway, I've had this conversation with a number of riders over the years, and most agree that everyone has a favorite side for turning. I've heard it hypothesized that it's usually the right side due to the throttle's being on that side, and that the right hand twisting the throttle makes it more comfortable to turn that way. Anyway, just a theory.

Guest dkgross

never dropped my bike B)

Tires look like they're wearing pretty evenly (though, I am noticing the front looks wierd..might be the cupping thing ya'll talk about alot). I've only gor 4000 miles on her..shame on me :(

mmm..here's a thought...I wonder if it's because I'm right handed...

small survey...If you are naturaly left-handed, do you feel more comfy on a left sweep than a rightie??

Guess I really need to just practice more. I agree on the 'not concentrating so much' part on putting equal pressure. I've taken enough MSF courses to know how to turn my head properly, find apexs and all that jazz..

Maybe what I need are OHLINS :bier:

one observation, not sure how relevant, but I've noticed that on both my LeMans and now on my V11 Sport that when the front tire needs air I feel it more (or sooner) with a left-hand turn than with a right-hander... in other words, the mushy feel of a low front tire is first noticed in lefties... :huh2:

The crank/flywheel assy spinning f/r holds the bike into a right but will tend to lift it out of a left - so right feels steadier. You get used to it. You're thinking too much, look a bit further down the road, bigger picture.

KB, Cymru :sun:

Personally, I do better on right hand curves simply because I know that no part of my body is hanging into oncoming traffic (let someone that drives on the "wrong" side of the road jump in here with their assessment of whether that's logical).

I have to agree with you Carl. Having a bike stored in L.A. as well gives me plenty of opportunity to ride on both sides (legally), and I have to say I prefer right handers when in the USA, and left handers here in Kiwiland. I use the camber on the road to cut tight into a corner which isn't available when taking a curve opposite to the side of the road I'm driving on.

All the other factors mentioned by others may also be affecting the situation, but too subtle for me to notice, including torque reaction.

The ever undiscrimating Carl will now state that even with the frame twisted, bent and the steering angle steepened even more because the spine is buckled under, the V11 Sport is stable and handles well. Either I'm a numb-butt (something my wife would probably not dispute) or it's damn near impossible to discern any change of handling from the engine being off-center in the frame. Even with the frame all fubar, the handling is not terribly diminished.

You don't have roundabouts over in the States do you?

Here in the South we have 'squares.' These are entered like roudabouts , surround the county courthouse ( a place you don't want to be invited back to) and are generally clogged with America's #1 road obstruction - the Ford F150. :moon: