Frame paint and oil filter removal

Vincez

Two quick questions -

Anybody know what shade of red is used on the frames of our V11s? Mine has some chipped paint on the "pork chops" and I want to touch it up. Before I start trying various colors, wanted to check with other owners.

Question Two - removing that damned oil filter. After draining the oil, and removing a very tight plate, I cannot get any of my current oil filter wrenches to grip without slipping on the oil filter. Before I take it to my local dealer, just to remove the filter, would appreciate any tips anyone has on getting that slippery thing out of there!

Thanks  

I can't help with the paint but I do know of two ways to get the filter out.  One is buy one of those stamped steel oil filter sockets that fits your filter from a local auto parts store.  The other way is remove the screws around the perimeter of the oil pan and drop it to access the filter.  If this bike is new to you it's possible that the previous owner installed a hose clamp on the oil filter to prevent it from loosening on it's own.  If he did you will have to drop the oil pan.

It would be good advice to drop the pan and put your own hose clamp on the new filter so it won't spin off when least desireable. I never use the manhole cover to access the filter, the threads are not very deep and I fear they could be stripped easily.

Removing the pan is not all that difficult and seems a bigger job than it is. Plus, in my case, it allowed me to wipe away the water & oil sludge that sticks to the insides due to poor water vapor management.

Not that it's easy to wheel your bike into the closest Fingernail polish store, but fingernail polish comes in so many colors, I've found it's possible to get very good color matches. And, it comes with a brush too.

Ron
from the North-wet :)