All Guzzis go to heaven, right?

Kickeroo

Can you tell me where that plate goes, just above the lower sump plate, or just above the upper sump spacer thingy. Problem is that getting the upper off is going to be a b#$74rd of a job because several allen screws are seized in and rounded off. No way I can see that they're coming out with the engine in the frame and I've had no particular reason to pull the upper off so far

Yeah ok guys... maybe I didnt bring myself over as I intended, I was not doubting anybody, I have heard of the issue, WHAT I was trying to say in dumb kiwi english is...

We have all heard about exploding single plate clutchs, bad earths, 02? engine paint failing, braking speedo drives, paw springs etc etc etc, 'most' of those issues are model related as MG do there best to fix the issues in the next model. SO this oil pressure is a serious issue, is it with all V11's never heard it happening to the 1100 sports? 

I know a lot of V11's in NZ and never any having a big end let go, I would not have thought this issue to be so wide spread as little bad press gets out... remember the VF750 that had poor oil feed and man did the word get around, nearly destroyed Honda as did the MVX grenades... so ya see Im suprised Im treated as a thick shit for not understanding

Well, the Roper plate is sort of a rather sensible/sensitive (whatever is right here) topic, especially if one says the engine feels quite ok even without one of those parts.

What these engines really don't like are oil filters coming loose, or as it is in most cases, filters with two instead of the one proper gasket, the old one sticking still up been overlooked and later on pressed out.

Normally you have to try really hard to ruin the V11 engine. I'm "trying it" with lean fuel maps, low oil levels, extensive WOT orgies on the Autobahn with the bike fully packed, red idiot lights coming on on a semestral basis - since 160.000 kms with no success. What I didn't try out so far is the lost oil filter scenario - I'm probably just not old enough for that yet.

Hubert

• Like 1

Yeah ok guys... maybe I didnt bring myself over as I intended, I was not doubting anybody, I have heard of the issue, WHAT I was trying to say in dumb kiwi english is...

We have all heard about exploding single plate clutchs, bad earths, 02? engine paint failing, braking speedo drives, paw springs etc etc etc, 'most' of those issues are model related as MG do there best to fix the issues in the next model. SO this oil pressure is a serious issue, is it with all V11's never heard it happening to the 1100 sports? 

I know a lot of V11's in NZ and never any having a big end let go, I would not have thought this issue to be so wide spread as little bad press gets out... remember the VF750 that had poor oil feed and man did the word get around, nearly destroyed Honda as did the MVX grenades... so ya see Im suprised Im treated as a thick shit for not understanding

I am not the expert others are on this, but I have some understanding of it.

The oil pickup is near the front of the sump. Under hard acceleration the oil naturally sloshes to the back of the sump. If the oil level in the sump is low enough, the acceleration is hard enough, or some combination of the two, the oil pickup can be uncovered, i.e., it is not covered in oil any longer and it tries to pump air. Air does not pump well and it lubricates even worse, so that can result in loss of oil pressure.

The big end bearings, being plain bearings, do not work well without oil pressure.

I do not see this as a serious issue, as it will tell you if you have an issue and only failing to ignore the oil light will cause catastrophic failure. I do own one of Pete's plates and intend to install it soon, but as long as you keep the oil topped up, avoid wheelies, and otherwise pay attention to the idiot light you should be fine.

YMMV

There is no intention to treat you like  thick s**t.... Quite the contrary , we want you to understand and appreciate what takes place inside your engine. 

I got the sarcasm, dangerous, don't worry. Thought it quite funny actually.

If the Big End goes at 70 mph as the man said it sounds like an interrupted cruise not a curtailed wheelie-fest, so yes it would be interesting to find out what can mash a fairly bomb proof engine: lots of non-embolism type things spring to mind...

Andy

I got the sarcasm, dangerous, don't worry. Thought it quite funny actually.

Trust a bloody pom, haha... shit sake why did I not use the muilty quote button, told ya a thick shit...

hey serious tho did the pick up position change from the 1100 sport to the V11, and If it was noted like when they changed the speedo cable drive to a right angle out of the casing in 04 to relise it snaps in 1000km so went back to the earler cable route, why did they not go back to the 97 sport pick up?

Still waiting......Bike is at Velocity Vintage in Richmond VA.  Good blokes, so that part of it I am not worried about.  I'm in no position to work on it myself, so I will have to trust these guys.  The oil starvation issue may be part of it, and, yes, I know I am about to learn an expensive lesson.

Oh, and where does the roper plate go, upper or lower sump position? Andy

It goes above the spacer.

several allen screws are seized in and rounded off. No way I can see that they're coming out with the engine in the frame and I've had no particular reason to pull the upper off so far

how did that happen?

Thanks, the upper? That's my problem...

how did that happen?

I got the bike nearly two years ago and on close inspection, the lower sump and timing covers were in atrocious condition. Road salt and corrosion had got into the exposed end of several of the screws for the upper sump locking them solid. Got most of the screws out eventually but three at the front had clearly suffered previous unsuccessful attempts. Two rounded off already and one so marginal I completed the job.

So that's how it happened.

Going to have to wait until the engine's out to get at them properly. I've cleaned up the cases somewhat to stop the rot but I'm going to have to get the engine out sooner or later to do it properly. Maybe get a Roper plate in then...

Good trick with boogered Allen bolts is to hammer the next oversize Torx bit into 'em before using a socket on the Torx fitting to undo 'em. The biffing in will also tend to loosen the corrosion making them easier to spin out. Yes you need to buy new bolts. Big deal. Bolts are cheap!

Pete

• Like 1