First decent spin and some pics

big J

Got the bike out today and went for a ride around.

Impressions; well the vibration is a bit annoying but I'll fix that when the Carbtune arrives. Pulls well with a little surging at low revs, up to about 3000 or so, after that it seems good, handling, braking all ok. Clutch bites quite far out, I'll check it later, but engages fine, box clonks but never misses a gear.

Very happy indeed, only minor gripe is that the right mirror folds in even after tightening, I'll put a small washer or O ring or something in to pack the fitting.

Oh, and it bloody rained. I couldnt believe it.We get rain maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Wtf, like???049_zpsc929a8b5.jpg

050_zps5f0a8654.jpg051_zps8fb046a7.jpg

052_zps4b08b003.jpg

053_zps338d3385.jpg

If it hasn't had a proper TB balance and TPS re-set it will be a bit of a dog. Even when it has it'll be less than easy to live with at first. Did we discuss what map it has in? I can't remember.

They do take a while to break in, as all Guzzis do, at 60,000km mine, apart from the horrid racket it makes, is a joy.

On the oil thing I have no idea how to ship it to you! I can't believe Oz Post would take a drum of oil. How the @#!#$# do you ship oil? What do Penrite say?

Pete

Jaap, it's nice all right. For me, the V11 is a far more handsome machine, it's probably my all time favourite. The Griso isn't as good looking, but I'm sure the looks will grow on me.

Foto, you're right there! You wouldnt want to break down out there in summer for sure.

Pete, yes it has the 68s map in, thanks for that info, I checked it on the dealers computer. I've ordered a Centurion VDST thing from Guzzitech so I'll be able to reset the tps myself. It seems to be running ok,quite lumpy low down and a bit tingly through the bars at 5-6000rpm  though it will, as you say, be better when properly tuned. My V11 was really smooth, silent gear changes, nice clutch pull, almost no vibration. This is very different, what with the jingly tinkling it does at 2500-3000 rpm and the clangy gearbox. Not bad, just different.

No reply from Penrite yet. I have no idea how you ship oil myself- maybe a big box with polystyrene all around? God knows. :huh2:

Congratulations, neat looking bike and to my mind just as good looking as the V11, just different.

My V11's improved noticeably in the last 10000 miles since I got it ( with about 20k on the clock): much smoother, so i can imagine a bike like that'll be bit lumpy out of the box.

So you know what you've got to do...

I'm envious

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update- I've now got just shy of 1000 kms on the bike. I'll put her in for a service shortly, in the meantime I've been doing a little bit of tinkering myself.

Clutch- there was no noticeable free play so I adjusted the plunger. It still bites very far out, next job will be to try bleeding it and see if it makes a difference.

Tappets, checked and reset at 750 kms, the two inner inlets were slightly loose strangely, one exhaust had opened up a little, however nothing to worry about I believe. I also had a look at the axial play in the rocker arms, it varies between 0.3mm to 0.45mm. This is, I reckon, the source of the rattling from the top end, most noticeable between 2000- 3000 rpm. It rather reminds me of an old VW Beetle. I'm not concerned about it at present although sometime in the future I may machine the shafts a little and insert some shims to quieten it a bit.

Throttle cable adjusted to remove free play.

Played about with the fork and damper settings, turns in better now.

Gearbox, still bangs away like I'm using a sledgehammer to shift. Change up- CLANG!  Change down, CLANG clack. I've tried every variation of timing and technique I can think of but nothing seems to make any difference. Given that my V11's box was smoother than an Italian playboy at a college disco, it's a bit disappointing. I wonder if, with the clutch not engaging til the lever is quite far out, if the clutch itself isn't disengaging properly, dragging slightly. Between that and the CARC banging away as well, filtering through traffic is a bit of a chore.

I've found some 10w-60 oil, Castrol Edge, so that'll be going in, also have some Heavy Shockproof coming for the trans and final drive.

The Carbtune arrived, just waiting for the VDST tool and I'll synch the throttle bodies and reset the tps.

I reckon I'll have maybe another month of the riding season before it becomes too hot. It's around 36-38C at the moment and when you're stuck in traffic, the motor gets pretty hot. Shortly it'll be around 50C during the day, too hot for this boy with winter in his blood, so I'll begin the planned improvements then-

She runs lean and hot, so I'll invest in a PC5 and optimiser. And a loud pipe.

If I can, I'll remove the clutch pushrod and see if I can get a longer one to change the engagement point.

Otherwise, the bike is good. She's no V11, but bloody good all the same. :thumbsup:

John

Good point Andy,probably with a stock bike but I reckon if you fitted an oil cooler the same size as the Griso it wouldn't be any different.

She performed a new trick last night, stopped on the way home for smokes, when I restarted her about 20 minutes later, she would only run on one cylinder until she hit 2000rpm or so. This went on for maybe 6kms then cleared.

Heat soak I expect. I'll look into the fuel line routing when I get a chance.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived across the causeway in Dhahran for 12 years and never knew they sold Guzzis here.

Mind you, I'd never want to ride here due to the crazy local drivers. Anyways, most of my time is spent out on the oil rigs.