2002 Lemans wont start when hot

gmorty

Iv had my 2002 LeMans for several years and the same issue comes up.  After iv been riding, shut it off for gas or a break the bike wont start.  When you turn on the key you hear the fuel pump run, pull in the clutch and nothing, no clickn no turn over, nothing.  Iv changed out the relays as iv read before but its the same issue.  A local dealer even told me when i first bought it that it needed a new ignition switch which they changed out yet i still have this issue.  Iv also checked the connectors under the tank as well (but its been a while).  I read also to clean the sensor on the kickstand as well.  Any help would be great.  Im tired of being stranded on the side of the road or trying to much start the bike (not an easy chore). 

I would be so pissed if that was my bike.. don't really have answer tho it sounds like a relay, could it be the connectors into the relay base? battery terminals nice and tight?

Yes its very frustrating to say the least.  Iv checked the battery terminals to make sure there tight.  I also have a trickle charger on the bike when it sits so the battery is good.  I have noticed the relays are extremely hot when this occures.  and when the bike does finally fire up, I get a click from the starter relay as if it has cooled down enough to start working.  Could it be the relays are getting to hot?

Yes its very frustrating to say the least.  Iv checked the battery terminals to make sure there tight.  I also have a trickle charger on the bike when it sits so the battery is good.  I have noticed the relays are extremely hot when this occures.  and when the bike does finally fire up, I get a click from the starter relay as if it has cooled down enough to start working.  Could it be the relays are getting to hot?

hot could be a clue, check that the input wire isn't melted into the relay base.

Ok -  simply put: if the *starter* won't engage, it's not about the ignition or fuel. The clutch switch or relay won't let the starter engage. Most likley: clutch switch or its flinky bullet connectors under the left side of the tank near the front.

There is no reason for the relays to get hot, they only dissipate about 1.2 Watts in the coil and they are rated for 50-60 Amps however if the relay base is loose the current will quickly heat the start relay up.

For example if you were loosing 6 Volts across bad contacts the starter solenoid current would be much less say 25 Amps, 25 x 6 = 150 Watts so you can see there is some serious heat there.

As a backup until you get the bike sorted I would get familiar with hot wiring the starter all it takes is a wire from the small spade trigger terminal to touch on the battery terminal or the large post on the starter and it will crank over (the bike must be in Neutral or with the clutch in so you don't rocket off). At the very least this will check out the starter.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same problem on my 04 Le Mans although mine will do it hot or cold. Like gmorty I've checked the relays, the wiring under the tank battery voltage, etc. Turning the bars to full right lock sometimes helps but not always. Good luck and if you figure it out please post.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My '04 exhibits this behavior as well.  a ride across town with traffic conditions that let her heat up seems to be the conditions that brings on the bitchiness.  If she has time to cool off there's no problem, but a fast errand where she is only parked for a few minutes results in an unresponsive starter.  I haven't learned the hotwire trick yet.  We just went through the pawl arm spring issue but she is otherwise bone stock and all original parts. since heat seems to be the issue, is there something that might be happier located elsewhere?

As in, you thumb the starter button and there is no sound whatsoever? When you turn on the ignition and the run switch do you hear the fuel pump prime?