Front and Rear wheel stands

dank1945

Hi,

new to the forum, and V11's, but not to Guzzi's. I have a 72 Nuovo Falcone, and a 76 Convert. Love them both. Just bought my new to me 2003 V11 Sport naked.

I need to remove both wheels simultaneously to have new tires installed. How do you do safely lift the bike? Swing arm stands (do you remove the swing arm cover/mudguard? hydraulic lift on the oil pan?

Thanks for any input on the matter.

Dan K. in St. Catharines, ON

Dan,

The factory stand supports the outboard nuts of the lower rear gearbox mounts at the bottom of the side plates. The bike can be supported at each side of that subframe with jack stands, but the trick is lifting the bike to set them. Jacking under the pan only will lift the front.

With a good swingarm stand, and an assistant, you can remove the swingarm end caps and likely get enough lift to place the jack stands. The whole mass then pivots nicely as you lift the front with a jack under the pan (use something to spread out the contact area).

I like using a couple ratchet straps to secure the steering yoke to overhead hard points for some additional security.

Somehow, it seems, gravity is always looking for a place to happen! :o

Rear wheel:  the oem paddockstand is the best way. You but it under the lower bolts on the sideplates (porkchops) Then a small jack under the sump to lift the frontwheel. To be safe I would tie the bike down, especially with both wheels off.

How is it Jaap can say the same thing, but with so many less words?  :blush:

Dan, Keep the posts coming. These V11 are very satisfying to sort and ride! :mg:

I never got the swingarm stand approach to work at all - I just kept slipping forward as you try to lift because of the angle of the swingarm.

So until I got the OEM stand (oh happy day!), I made do for nearly a year with a trolley jack under the sump and cheap ratchet axle stands on the same nuts the OEM stand uses. I beg to differ from what Docc said (sorry Docc, it worked on my 2000 V11): you can use a trolley jack and a piece of ply under the rear of the sump (as far back as you can without bending the pipe unions),

Although I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own, the following worked for me:

With the side stand down, use the trolley jack to crank up onto the side stand, until you can fit the right axle stand under its nut, then swap sides and lift up on the left stand and so on, ratcheting up until the back wheel is off the ground. Then lift the front of the sump with the jack and slip a block of wood underneath to hold the front off the ground.

Did it many times by myself, but I shudder now to think what might have happened if it had all cut loose so get assistance!

That approach should tide you over until you get the OEM stand and its accompanying sump prop delivered asap.

Andy

I was just hoping to give Dan some early feedback, so AndyH seems to have a good handle on this. I've only used the factory stand (No swingarm stand, although I've heard they can "walk").

Just brought home a motorcycle lift and put the V11 up on the Sport Chock and the service stand.

BTw: I have dropped my v11 forward off the "sump prop" onto its exposed forks. Didn't hurt the bike, but made me feel sucky. :mellow:

I only use a floor jack under the sump now. The lift is new today, so who knows what lies in the shadows?

DSCN0322.JPG

BTw: I have dropped my v11 forward off the "sump prop" onto its exposed forks. Didn't hurt the bike, but made me feel sucky. :mellow:

I only use a floor jack under the sump now.

Oww! Eyewatering! Will watch out for that little surprise. I had thought that prop was safe... :o

Thanks for the tip docc

Hi,

Thanks to all that pitched in, i appreciated it. Could you shoot me a close up picture of the OEM paddock stand? Where to buy it? Maybe I can make my own...

(You don't need any boards under it to take the wheels out):

RF.jpg

For example: http://www.valpolini.com/index.php/home-en/prodotto?&fID=1084

(same stand for V11)  Guzzi spare part #: 009797171 "Service central stand".  I have two 18 mm (1/2") sockets for the nuts on the Guzzi frame to protect the nuts. The stand grabs on the sockets.

Aye, that's the front prop that mine dropped off of. I forget what I was doing, but the wheels were off, the bike rolled forward only slightly and the prop tipped over. I don't use it anymore, but it would at least be a good idea to chock the stands casters somehow so it will not roll.

Dimensions for the Guzzi Shop Stand here in inches.

Post with a pic of the stand/ slightly modified

Hand built New Zealand unit with metric measurements

Alternate method

Sockets for the nuts is a good idea. I'll use them to slightly extend the nuts: the U shaped hooks on my OEM stand sit just a wee bit (

Good tip!

hooks on my OEM stand sit just a wee bit ( 

Same with me, it needed some rough force (hammer) to adjust the width. If you find sockets, which are on sale on "pegs", then there might be nice plastic handles ready fixed to the sockets. Just glue or tape them more "fixed" and you have handles as well...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Becker Technik (spelling?) workshop stand from MG Cycle.  It took me a few minutes to figure it out due to the lack of clear instructions, but I absolutely love it.  Rather than a fancy prop stand for the front, once I have the bike up on the Becker 'centerstand" I simply put an old Toyota scissor jack under the sump and it can be turned by hand to take the weight off both wheels at once.

The stand does require two 1/2" drive, 18mm sockets to mount to the swingarm/pork chop nuts, that you then won't be able to use to work on the bike, but so far no issues with that.

• 1 year later...