Day 13

Espresso Amber Ale

Peak Organic Brewing Company, Portland, Maine

When I think of Portland and craft beer .... I usually think of Portland, Oregon - not Maine. The east coasters have pulled out another great beer!! Espresso ....? YES ...... just enough to know it's there but it's not like a cold coffee taste. This is like taking a nice Italian coffee ..... pull that sharp finish out and put it in a nice bold malt with a fair hoppiness and you get a beer like this!! This is on my list of "where can I find this" beers!! The 6.8% makes this a nice ale to cap off a good meal and then settle down in the hot tub ...... what a great idea! Catch ya later!!!

m4t2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jyxn.jpg

What sort of temperature do you drink these American micro-brewery ales, Jim? I'd normally drink bottled ales like these at a bit warmer than cellar temperature, say 55 deg F and the darker, stronger winter warmers maybe a tad higher (60?).

Anyway, sounds like you have a rich hunting ground to draw on over there. Mighty appealing. A shame I'm on the wagon all through December and early January!

I just used my temperature gun to check the temperatures of my beer fridge. I have a storage fridge in the garage that is at 38 deg F and my bar fridge which is 47 deg F. I reckon that when I crack a beer at 47 deg and swirl it for about five minutes it will be up in the 50's by the time I drink it. I will keep my gun out and see if I can measure the temperatures when I drink today's treasure (an imperial stout). I do like some IPA's a little bit chillier because sometimes they are so hoppy and the cooler temp closes the nose but that isn't how to truly enjoy them.

Day 14

Will this dream ever end .......? (Please .... noooooo....!!!)

Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard Imperial Stout

Better Bitters Brewing Co., Burlington, Ontario

There are quite a few Russian Imperial stouts appearing on the market lately. They are a potent brew. This one is 8.5% and some are 10% or more ...

This one is very consistent with the others I have tried .... rich, rich malt with a little dark chocolate and coffee flavours and also a bit of molasses. It doesn't sound that appealing but with the high alcohol it actually sharpens the flavour and makes it a sipping beer so the taste is something that gets more enjoyable as you pace yourself. 

I don't know if I would seek this one as I can find a similar one at my local supply store but I would certainly never refuse a drink such as this .... it is a great way to finish a quiet evening!!

p0d6.jpg

33pc.jpg

Day 15

Hollow Point Quadruple Ale

The Perfect Crime Brewing, Stratford, Connecticut

This is quite a different ale .. a strong Belgian style with a rich fruity malt with a caramel sweetness and just a little bitterness .... the high alcohol offsets the sweetness more than the bitter. I wasn't sure how much I would like it at first but it got better with every sip!! I quite liked it with the pasta fazzoli .. it complimented the cheese quite well!!

qr4l.jpg

ejql.jpg

I am now officially working on my Rancho Loco Draedel Calendar for 8 days of high gravity fun next year!!

You could have 3 beers each day ... then you could still have the full 24!!!!

Yeah, but I'm also thinking a Kwanzaa Beer calendar and then a Beer Calendar calendar!  Just to keep things on a level playing field.

I suppose no Guzzi content is OK as long as there is pasta content . . . :food:

Yeah ..... I was having supper and I had to weigh the extra effort to go find some Guzzi content against drinking a 10% ale with some pasta and for that day it was an easy choice ..... but tonight? Hmmmmmmm ..... I'll try something different ...... but definitely Guzzi content!

motowfo ..... I like the way yer thinking ....!!!!!

Dec 16

Crosswind Pale Ale

Lake of Bays Brewing Company, Baysville, Ontario

A nice standard pale ale with not too heavy malt or hops but the malt is first on the taste and the hops stay subdued by the malt right to the finish without being completely un-noticed. This would be good session beer as it is light enough that 3 or 4 would go down nicely but full enough flavour that you wouldn't be tempted to over-indulge.

dv8z.jpg

cvrj.jpg

Sheesh!   Waited, like, all day for that post. :P:

Now, I'm not so sure it is good juju to picture liquids so close to a regulator . . . Guzzi content, sure, but the juju? :o

(kidding of course -I am so digging this!) :bier:

This is brilliant! That last one: such a dark bottle and a dark label with the bi-plane and the dark promise . . . in the glass it looks a little "friendly."

Buddy, I'm starting to feel a little sorry for you. All the weight of this thread. A different beer every day.

See you Tuesday! Gonna help you out .  .  . ;)