Day 6

Moose Knuckle Winter Stout

Grizzly Paw Brewing Company, Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Not bad .... very traditional stout .... nice malt with just a hint of bitterness .. 6% so I could drink a few more .. but not a lot!

Sorry I missed posting yesterday ... busy day insulating the attic .... man am I thirsty ....!!! Oh wait .... it's time for Day 7 .......!

k9bi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Day 7

Existent American Farmhouse Ale

Stillwater Artisanal Brewing, Stratford, Conecticut

Oh yeah .... this one is very nice! Dark, rich malt with a little smokiness. A bit like a stout with a little more hops ... maybe more like a Scottish Ale even. 7.4% so I don't think too many of these could be quaffed in a session but after breathing insulation dust it has certainly cleansed my palate .....!!! I have to give this beer very high marks!

The label is very dark and hard to see clearly but I think the colour of this beer is sensational .... my kind of beer!

3u2c.jpg

kx8p.jpg

That last one looks fantastic! If you have trouble keeping up, I'll PM you my shipping address. :whistle:

Local brewery, Blackstone, in Nashville, does this winter seasonal. Malty, chocolatey, big mouth feel, steak&eggs finish. 6.3%. Available at the grocery and finer filling stations.  Wish they did it all year.

• Like 1

Dec 8

Spark House Red Ale

Brewed by Lake of Bays Brewing, Baysville, Ontario

I wasn't'r sure of this one at first sip but hen I realized it was too cold to enjoy. After ten minutes it opened up quite nicely. A touch of bitter chocolate from the malt and a light floral finish from the hops ... none of it too bold or overpowering the other flavours. At 5% I could enjoy more than I should ... if you know what I mean ...!!

ezfr.jpg

I know we Brits have drinking warm beer as a kind of congenital condition but these darker maltier beers seldom reward serving too cold. It makes them frigid when in their best light they are warm, rounded and generous. :wub:

In days gone by old geezers used to sit by the fire at the pub in winter and plunge hot pokers into their tankards to get the right warmth. Guess that made the beer smoky too.

Even for me there is 'too warm' though.

Seeing the ale next to the cam cover makes me think it was presented during a valve adjustment where the correct temperature is "stone cold."

Never heard the hot poker method. See, you can learn something at V11LeMans.com every day!

• Like 1

Jeez Jim, I'm waiting with baited breath for every new installment now.

That makes me pathetic on any number of levels. Sigh....

I have been dead impressed with the microbrewery thing that's been going on in bc for as long as I've been a visitor , about 20 years.... It's nice to see the rest of North America has been catching up. It's not that long ago where the choice was bud, michelob, or anything else that tasted like bud. Yeuch. Barring Boston I suppose, but I just don't like Sam Adams, but that's just me.

Vive la difference!

• Like 1

Day 9

India Pale Ale

Tap It Brewing, San Luis Obispo, California

Very traditional west coast IPA but not too intense. A bit of citrus and floral from the strong hops but the malt flavour stays with it right through to the finish. I like IPA's but I find that they have been perfected so well that there are many brands that are quite enjoyable. I have stayed away from the double IPA's but there are a couple of Imperial IPA's that have a nice malt balance and the high alcohol content seems to actually subdue the intensity of the hops (Red Racer Imperial IPA is one I quite enjoy).

A bit late posting this one ... I got busy bottling the last of the wine from last year and you know how one thing (bottling wine) leads to another (unbottling wine) so I had a slow start today ...

vigk.jpg

zb2a.jpg

A little snow on the ground, a nice amber color to the ale, a hot tub, and a little toy Guzzi to make motor sounds to . . .

I'm havin' trouble feeling sorry for you, Jim . . . ;)

• Like 1

Day 10

My liver is still functioning and I have not yet spent a night in jail ....

Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale.

Back Forty Beer Company, Gadsden, Alabama

I'm not a big fan of sweetened beers and unfortunately this one is not an exception. It is quite mild all round with mellow malt flavour and light hops. The honey doesn't do much to help in my opinion and although not flawed it has few redeeming qualities ( I tried it chilled - I let it warm up a bit and I tried it again - still so-so).

But it is beer .......... so I drank it ....!!

By the way .... where I come from - a truck stop honey is not something you take home ....!!

9lx3.jpg

llzx.jpg

Day 11

Newport Storm IPA (India Point Ale)

Coastal Extreme Brewing Company, Newport, Rhode Island

This is an east coast IPA and they are a nice change from the hop heavy west coast IPA's. This one has a very rich malt with the hops strong enough to match it but not overpower the malt. Both come through on the finish and in the nose as well. I have had a many east coast IPA's that just don't cut it ... too little of malt or hops or both .... but this one is one of the better ones ..... worthy of standing beside a west coast IPA and more than holding its own!!!

bxa9.jpg

6rd5.jpg

Day 12

Half way there ....!!!!

Cameron's Auburn Ale

Cameron's Brewing Company, Oakville, Ontario

Yet another fine ale ... much like a bitter with a rich red colour. The malt is strong enough to balance the bitter hops and leave a very nice bitter finish that fades to a malt finish. I'll be looking for this one again ....!!

ewe0.jpg

3zim.jpg