brake pads

docc

Hey, that's a neat idea. I usually start the new Spine Raid thread in mid-winter just cause I can't stand waiting. Yet, we'll probably try for September again and look for a north-south route that's not so hard on the eyes. I'll try and remember the mid-week suggestion, but watch for the thread and we'll discuss it then to see who might be up for it.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

I'll likely trailer there next year midweek.

what about doing it back to back with Barber Vintage?  I'd bring my toy hauler.  Ride all week and get to Barber on Thursday.  I know a nice campsite in Chattanooga on the way there.

• 2 years later...

Comes time to have a look at the rear brake, well known on the V11 to eat pads, stick pistons, and hydrate its own fluid.

Normally, I don't expect rear pads to last beyond 10,000 miles, and these EBC HH (left) are at 11,000.

While the pad material is not *gone* (let's realize these pads don't have much material to begin with), the surface looks to have turned to metal.

The cheap Chinese pad is pictured on the right with only 3,700 miles, but are actually fine (thickness and appearance).

I'd really like to go back to Brembo rear pads, but where to find them in the USA?

gallery_328_223_261220.jpg

The EBC say "Made in USA" and I've used them before, but I don't like how aggressive they are (at least the HH). The pads on the right are the Volar Motorsport referenced in post#1.

They seem more "organic" while the EBC have turned shiny, metallic, and full of spaces and gaps.

Struggling to find Brembo replacements. :huh2:

Worked the two pistons in and out using brake cleaner. The shop smells like a dry cleaner that serves beer. :blink:

The inside (inboard) piston is always the most sticky, and the pad guide pin was rusty already. Buffed it out and applied silicone grease. Tomorrow, will remove the caliper, turn the bleeder to the top and replace the fluid.

I won't put the EBC back in. Any US sources of replacement Brembo for the rear brake would be appreciated . . .

gallery_328_223_1154641.jpg

Comes time to have a look at the rear brake, well known on the V11 to eat pads, stick pistons, and hydrate its own fluid.

Normally, I don't expect rear pads to last beyond 10,000 miles, and these EBC HH (left) are at 11,000.

While the pad material is not *gone* (let's realize these pads don't have much material to begin with), the surface looks to have turned to metal.

The cheap Chinese pad is pictured on the right with only 3,700 miles, but are actually fine (thickness and appearance).

I'd really like to go back to Brembo rear pads, but where to find them in the USA?

gallery_328_223_261220.jpg

Docc the surface has turned to metal because they are sintered metal pads, thats how they look. Put them on a flat surface with some 180 wet and dry and give them a dry rub.

Although they do look like they need replacing.

Ciao

Yeah, seems some sintered metal pads have a lot more, or even more "aggressive," metal than others.

I thought the EBC were pretty hard on my original front rotors. Mind you, my original rear rotor is pretty rough as well.

I recall the Brembo, although also sintered metal pads, *seemed* gentler than these.

Surely they (Brembo rear pads) are a common fitment? :huh2:

I found the Brembo pads at Moto International after sussing out that the Brembo caliper is #F05.

I know they won't  last as long as the more aggressive pads, but I better start treating that rear rotor like I'm waltzing with your gran-ma! :oldgit:

I did want to post this reminder that the service interval on the rear brake pads, fluid change, and piston/pin service is pretty limited even if you don't "use" your rear brake much. :luigi:

The Guzzis use the same rear pads as some

BMWs, I know because my Brother gave me a pair for my K100 flying brick.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Geez   I get 50,000 miles or better out of my rear pads 

:grin:

Heh - :blush: , well, I suppose I should have said, "If you average abut 36.5 miles per US gallon, use up rear tires in about 4,200 miles, and ride as smoothly as a tracked vehicle pushing down trees (like me) :whistle: , your rear brake pads may only last about 10,000 miles."

If, on the other hand, you ride like the wind, the rear brake is only being used to space the wheel off the swingarm, and you only slow down for lunch, you get something like five times that out of them! :race::thumbsup:

The even wear from the inside pad to outside tells me my pistons have even movement. I flushed the fluid today with the caliper in situ, but will equalize the piston movement again, with them bathed in fresh fluid when my Brembo pads come in a couple days and turn the bleeder upright for the final bleed. I *feel like* flushing with the fresh fluid is good after the last of the brake cleaning solvents have been applied. :nerd:

While the brake is off, the wheel is easy to remove and I'll bleed the clutch as well. :luigi:

I do wonder how the Brembo pads are rated for friction? I can't find the spec anywhere and hope it is shown on the packaging. I don't think I want HH friction on the rear anymore . . .