Greased my $%#&*^$ U joints - now what about the rust?

Jacob Ezzell

No window of any sort on my 2000 Sport. All access is from the rear with the wheel off. I know I got the grease gun n it once for sure since the coupling wouldn't come off. :angry2: :angry2:

Since that, I learned the grease gun can be rotated counter clock-wise (unscrewed) to release the fitting, but still moved on to the needle.

Andy's window is the way to go, fr sure. Pictures of that, Andy?

Now, I said i have no window, but there is the forward window to access the pinch bolts. My zerk faces rearward, so I can't see a way to get to it through this window unless it were huge. (Huge might be ok . . .)

DSCN0447.JPG

that's the way mine looks too.  So I can see some allen bolts fastening the U Joint.   Does the hole needs to be enlarged a good inch or so to get to the zerk? 

THATS IT !!!

Like I have said ,this was a long time ago.

I either enlarged on of the existing "access points" or I created another just a little further

towards the rear.

Huge would be ok in my book also. All it is going to do is contain the driveshaft till you get to 

the side of the road if the shaft/u-joint fails.(and maybe keep some grease off your boot !)

Andy, it looks like the service window was cut on the wrong side of the guard.  It appears you've cut the guard all the way through on the aft end and made a completely new hole.

You are correct Sir....thats what happens when I speak before looking at

what I had done. The access hole that I made might be a little larger than need be...( in a hurry).

Docc is right ...the forward "windows " are for the u-joint bolt access.

I don't work in the steel industry but that particular piece is "hefty" and in my case I think

still more than enough to contain the driveshaft should the joint fail.

happy trails

I had the swingarm off for whatever reason ..at that point you just take the 3 bolts off and remove it, make the modification and reinstall.

you would have to get creative to modify while still mounted on the bike. I used a dremel cut off wheel.

I have tried several times to grease the front joint in-situ however I end up dropping the shaft and

rear forks right out, it's not a big job.

You need to be careful when re-installing the pinch bolts, if the holes aren't lined up with the shaft

indent the shaft will chew up the bolt threads.

I like the idea of cutting another window, I will try that next time.

Roy

• 1 month later...

I think part of the problem is that the bikes are different from year to year. I had no problem getting a (modded) grease gun on the nipple of my 02 and 03, but it was impossible to use on Brad's greenie. ( LowRiders bike now)