V11 Le Mans (2005) Engine Oil

Retroman

That is what I run as well. I originally put that in my post but took it out as I did not want to jump into that pit of "my oil is better than your oil". But since you are in there I will jump in with you and say "yea, me too".

But as the OP is in NZ, I am not sure if Amsoil is even relevant.

OP should ask the local HD riders what they use. Our Guzzi engines are pretty similar, just rotated 90º on the Z axis  :rasta:

Oil is the endless topic for sure, personally I am content with semi-synth Motul 15-50 for the v11- its worked from 20-105 farenheit touring. SG rating is key for the flat cam follower, especially if you are running heavier valve springs. I don't know what the manufacturers are using as a baseline now the numbers have changed (I have 5-20 is in an overworked 4 cyl and it has no complaints!) They did the same damn thing with lightbulbs.

Emission limits became the guidelines pushed onto manufacturers by the insuring bodies so we get to deal with an absolute vacuum when it comes to reference.

I'm sure anyone here who worked in a mechanical shop can remember the snake oil salesmen of the 80's with their slick 50 type products (basically additives that would grab 3-5 microns of ,metal and hang out for an undetermined amount of time. Great for metal under the waterline of a boat but unreliable for an internal combustion engine. After witnessing my panhead turn 20-50 into water even after cool down demonstrated to me the need for education regarding oil.

Hot rod and stock V-8's could only use Delo 400 15-40 for the longest time due to Chevron's circumnavigation of the persuasion regarding the elimination of Zinc in oil to reduce emissions and as an aid to longevity regarding catalytic converters because it was considered a diesel engine oil. A stock yank V8 engine ran a flat cam follower/lifter. High performance varied, some went roller follower others remained flat all had heavier valve springs. Delo 400 met the lubrication demands of the flat cam follower, watch the shear value of that follower and the resulting demand on the oil- it is massive. Now add the temperature variant of an air cooled engine- more demand. Delo 400 would still keep your V11 percolating today. or a corvair.

Now there is purple and pink fancy lad stuff to accommodate/justify our need to keep old shit working, all available for a premium cause you just stepped out of normal. The name doesn't matter the performance does. We are lucky to have the choices available to us.

In the 70's and 80's Valvoline made Harley Davidson brand oil. You could buy it for 1/2 the price under the Valvoline badge. Things don't seem so transparent now but I can assure you, I have personally taken a fuel barge to Chevron, Esso and Gulf and delivered the same stock to them all. Do the homework.

Oil is your machines blood, it should be clear all winter. cheers

OP should ask the local HD riders what they use. Our Guzzi engines are pretty similar, just rotated 90º on the Z axis  :rasta:

FARK OFF... them poofs only use HD brand oil, like ther arseless chapps and fingerless gloves... HD oil dosnt state what grede it is nor dino of syn, wankers ;-) 

But as the OP is in NZ, I am not sure if Amsoil is even relevant.

havent seen it for a while in NZ, used to run Ams in my CX turbo, top notch shit but IMO to flash for a Guzzi

... ohh na the OPer is Lancashire that be in Pongo land Mr south Boltamore, shit now I have BTO ringing in me head...

• 6 months later...

Badabump for what oil in NZ please? Amsoil is available but damn pricey for an old tractor....

What year did they introduce CAT filters?

badabump?

what the hell is a cat filter?

right down to bisniss... were are you in NZ?

I ask cos trans diesel in chch sell eni (agip) which is the recomended brew for guzzi, in this case its called i ride and from them its a cheap as mental price. I expect were ever you are there must be a transdiesel (volvo) dealer near you

Hi,

I have owned a V11 Le Mans for a few months now and have fitted the factory race pack and a mistral crossover. As a  precautionary measure to help the engine I am about to drain the oil and drop the sump to insert a baffle/anti surge plate in it. I understand that the recommended oil, Agip Racing 5w-40 is no longer available and was wondering what other members are using as a alternative that won't ruin the engine. I can find that Gulf provide a fully ester synthetic described as racing 5w-40 but the other alternatives seem to be 10w-40 viscosity. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nigel.

I was able to buy BMW brand full synthetic 5w-40 oil at my local BMW motorcycle dealer. It was $11.92 a quart plus tax. They told me it is make by Castrol. Hope this helps.

07510039644  5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL QT 2.00 LBS  1   $11.92addtocart.gif07510039644_1_N.jpg?rnd=114639691 07510039644_2_N.jpg?rnd=114639691

Badabing, badaboom, badabump, geddit? Catalytic converter. No Volvo dealer here but if you can give me the ENI brew # I can get it.

yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

I could be wrong but I dont think any V11 has a cat filter

http://www.transdiesel.com/products/series/158/eni-motorcycle-oils--i-ride-range?categoryId=90 

i-ride is the brew and their 80-90 is what MG reconmend aswell

were in NZ are ya?

Hiding out. As luck would have it there's a Transdiesel just around the corner! They only have the full synth SL rated 10w40 iRide listed on the website. They also have ENI Marine synth 10w40 on bulk buy promo special, what chance that's good?

well then... ya hiding out at either Chch, Invercargill, Tauranga, Dorkland, Lower Hutt, Whangarei, Palmerston North, Taupo or Greymouth... Im thinking Inver's and whill ya at TD get one of them big arse detroits for me nissin ute will ya

Found some Castrol GTX 15w40 Dino SM-CF rated in the shed. Under zinc'd but otherwise fine to top up from halfway between marks on dipstick? Need to go for a fang when this rain finally sods off. New filter, windage plate etc will be here in another week.

Found some Castrol GTX 15w40 Dino SM-CF rated in the shed. Under zinc'd but otherwise fine to top up from halfway between marks on dipstick? Need to go for a fang when this rain finally sods off. New filter, windage plate etc will be here in another week.

Rain.. I wish, never seen it so brown here, 1st time the local cocky has ever ran out of water...

Castrol GPS the semi syn is actually what I use, only just found the ENI in recent times at such a mean price