Turn signal delay

felix42o

Okay, so I know there used to be a couple threads on this, but I couldn't find them...

Does anyone recall if there's a solution to the delay in turn signal operation? Or am I crazy and this is only a problem on my bike? :unsure:

It's like it starts on the 'off' part of the flasher.  You'd think I'd have dealt with this by now after ten years of ownership, but it's only just now far enough up the project list for me to worry about it.  It's driven me nuts for the longest.

Do you have the normal 2 pin flasher relay?

Do you have the standard filament lamps or LEDs?

The flasher wiring is so simple, not much to go wrong.

As soon as you select Left or Right the lamp should light, after a delay it will go off then back on.

If someone installed a 3 pin electronic type it might be flashing all the time with no lamps connected.

Signal half a second earlier...?

:nerd:

Seriously though, I once drove Mercedes C190 with just half a second delay on the accelerator to power delivery. Drove me nuts and I never got used to it: if I had a quid for every time I unintentionally infringed another road user's right of way, pulling out of junctions etc...

Half a second on today's roads is not trivial, I'll grant you.

With the exception of Buell stalks they're stock (incandescent) bulbs.  Not 100% sure but I've never changed the flasher relay since I bought the thing in '04, so it's probably stock.  Heck I've never even looked at it to be honest, since it does in fact "work".  It just seems to start in the 'off' position, as that's about the amount of time it takes to light.  Nothing new; it's always done that.  It's just that now that the bike has settled in (or I've settled to it) this is one of the little things I've been focusing on.  That, and I ran out of money for my never-ending R69S resto project and frankly I need a change of focus.  :mellow:

You know, I have a new aftermarket LH switch pod to wire in that I bought from Sonny Angels place a few years back...my high beam switch bought the farm years ago.  I wonder if it's in the switch?  Maybe I'll tackle that here soon. 

A simple test.

Lift the seat and pull the flasher, by the battery I think.

Jumper the socket with a short piece of wire.

Turn on the key then try left and right flashers, they should come on with no delay

If there is a delay it would point to the switch or a wiring fault.

If there is no delay it points to the flasher itself. 

I'm guessing there are Normally open flashers that heat up and close to turn on the lights

and Normally Closed flashers that heat up to turn the lights off

Measure the resistance between the two pins and get back to us.

So, I've really never thought about this or noticed it, but yes: activating the turn signal switch doesn't instantly light the bulb. A fraction of a second and it begins flashing.

I'm not convinced there is a fault.

I'll check out the pins and flasher.  Like I said, I don't think it's a problem with functionality of the system as much as it is just...well, stupid wiring logic.  In all likelihood it's just the flasher being normally open like Kiwi_roy said.  Hmmm.

It's not a fault, that's standard. And h*#~, who cares? You and Kiwi gonna strip your harness because of that?

Hubert

Yes.  :)

Actually, like I said at the beginning it's an annoyance that I thought I'd seen a fix for in some long-gone thread.  I thought if it was something similar to the spring mix-up between the fast idle lever and seat release that once discovered, fixed an annoying trait, then it would be worth dredging up.

Is it a huge problem?  No, not really.  But is it annoying and non-standard?  Absolutely.  Paricularly on the freeways here in Southern California where things happen quickly, that delay is a factor while making my way through traffic. 

... Paricularly on the freeways here in Southern California where things happen quickly, that delay is a factor while making my way through traffic. 

Why not. You always can pick up something from serious work on a given topic. Sort of Zen, you could say. Besides that I strongly doubt that any Guzzi was ever bought for pure riding purposes. The trick is to find the proper balance between therapy and ride :)

For making my way through city traffic I prefer the 'ride as if you're invisible' method, for safety reasons. 'Cagies' typing, searching for dropped cigarettes or slapping their brood on the backseats won't give too much on bike indicators, them being instant flashing or not.

Hubert