Turn signal delay

felix42o

It's not a fault, that's standard. And h*#~, who cares? You and Kiwi gonna strip your harness because of that?

Hubert

Who mentioned anything about stripping the harness?

Felix42o asked a question, I simply provided a way of figuring out what might be causing the delay that's annoying him.

Felix, I think this explains your flasher

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

I'm pretty sure some flashers work the other way with the contact normally closed, the current heats up a strip

a few seconds later the contact opens.

A clue for this type would be a low resistance between the two pins.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, turns out the thermal 522 flasher that's in our bikes is the same one in my 1964 Chevy truck, which says something, though I'm not sure what exactly. :huh:

Anyway I swapped them around and it was the same thing...a full second's delay until it started.  I think it's got to be in the resistance of the bulbs, since it works fine in the truck.  Seems like the higher the resistance in the circuit the faster the flash.  So, risking $7.00 on a fool's errand I picked up an electronic, solid-state flasher unit and that took care of it.  Hit the switch, flashers flash. :bike:  So, if anyone else is bothered by it, that seems to be the ticket.

It was referenced as an alternative fit for the two-pin, 552 flasher, Novita brand LL552. Now that I think about it though this one may not be solid state. I think it's just electro-mechanical instead of thermal. Either way, it's another example of a cheap fix for a silly problem I've been letting bother me for way too long. That's what happens when you have too many projects going at the same time!