Fractured rear drive shroud?

earemike

Hi all,

has anyone had experience with my suffering in the image below? I've not had the bike long however it seemed well looked after so this sudden occurence has taken me by surprise.

Cheers,

Mike

FracturedRearBevelShroud copy.jpg

Hi

I assume you got the bike like this? It didn't just shatter?

I have seen this before when the butcher who owned the bike for some inexplicable reason used it as a levering point. The shroud is not strong and won't take it. For the same reason, if it suddenly appeared I suspect a stone had somehow wedged in their and split the case. It's a clear application of point load. Apart from being ugly it doesn't affect the functionality of the bike except that road crap will end up on the drive splines of the box. If you ride in dry weather and don't mind pulling the wheel off periodically to check, I wouldn't worry. I guess if you were good with plastic metal or similar filler, you could repair it.

Shame.

Cheers

guzz

Mine was broken along that trailing edge (much worse than yours) by a "mechanic" who had heated the rear drive up and dropped it on a block to release the inside bearing. Apparently, this is a common technique on the older style rear drives that did not have so large a flange.

Did you hit the ceiling when this happened ?

It was all pretty disappointing. They welded it back and I refinished the cosmetics. They sent it elsewhere to get the bearing out and even those folks tore up the inside making another new leak. In good faith, I even paid the guys.

Andy York finally put it all straight for me. :notworthy:

Moral of the story: the rear drive "shroud" or "flange" is fragile for certain.

earemike, you think anyone has had a go at the seals or bearings in your drive?

Thanks all for the input, emailed a pic off to Ed in case it was of interest.

I recently purchased the bike, no mention of a seal replacement. It's possible I didn't notice hairline cracks however I've not had the wheel off during my ownership & the tyre is due for replacement. Given this I'd have hoped no-one has touched it for a few thousand km.

It occurred to me a small rock/object may have lodged in there (scrape marks on the steel plate) however I'd have thought that would be an outside chance at best. I'd have gone with hairline cracks however the break in the alloy looked fresh.

Hence my seeking the knowledge of the forum.

In the short term JBWeld may be my friend!

Cheers,

Mike

If it were mine, I'd find out who the best welder in the area is and take it to him.

I don't know how accurate the picture is but it looks to me like there are more 

cracks there.

I would want mine welded.

Let me say again...the best welder.

Lucky me.. I know a guy who's nuclear reactor type welding certified and he likes motorcycles