timing cover leak but what else?

czakky

I've got this bubbly flaky engine as clean and greaseless as I can ("simple green" delicate degreaser fyi).

Timing cover looks like it might be weeping but I'm having trouble finding any other source especially the bad one. Looks like it's under the left cylinder base gasket but, I've read numerous posts on the subject and have found that a common leak is the oil cooler lines/oil lines/coupling gaskets. There is no evidence of that...

I do know that the previous owner had the rings replaced on the left cylinder and the heads had been re-torqued fairly recently.

I was hoping the leak was as simple as the timing sensor so I had smeared a light coating of silicone sealer between the shim and case.

Also totally unrelated while I had her sitting there idling thought I'd check the charging system. Headlights brighten up with revs but last time I checked it was perfect (12.9 at idle up to 14.2v at 3k).

Today it was  sitting at 14.26 at idle and didn't change much when revved. This can't be good... I know

I'm like most of us Americans who believe that a little is good but a lot is better. But in this case....

I'll try and post some pics, any help is obviously appreciated.

Note the "foot powder trick" showing very little weepage on the timing cover, last pic is back of the case with a small amount of oil

photo(1).JPG

photo(3).JPG

photo(2).JPG

photo(4).JPG

Yea, sorry about the close up I took a bunch of pics. 1st pic is right side lower part of timing chest. 2nd is a closer shot of the last one (4th pic) thats after about 5 mins of idling kind of a lot of oil. 3rd pic is the back of the case where the trans. is bolted left side, probably old oil but can't tell where its coming from.

Breather hose is fresh and clean.

Sorry I guess I don't understand how the dye and UV light would help. Wouldn't it just show me where the oil is? I've never used it before not sure how it works.

Hey Foto, how do you think your leak compares to mine? I know it's hard to see in the pics, my oil level does slowly go down. Seems like the oil light goes on for like half a second on start up which I don't remember it doing that before. But who knows

Yea, sorry about the close up I took a bunch of pics. 1st pic is right side lower part of timing chest. 2nd is a closer shot of the last one (4th pic) thats after about 5 mins of idling kind of a lot of oil. 3rd pic is the back of the case where the trans. is bolted left side, probably old oil but can't tell where its coming from.

Breather hose is fresh and clean.

Sorry I guess I don't understand how the dye and UV light would help. Wouldn't it just show me where the oil is? I've never used it before not sure how it works.

Oh, it is wonderful . You will see where the leak starts and travels to . No ?s whatsoever as to where it is ! 

Then you gan go about attacking your problem. Use any gasket sealant w/a gasket except silicone sealant.

I use dyes/UV light on any fluid leak .

Hey Foto, how do you think your leak compares to mine? I know it's hard to see in the pics, my oil level does slowly go down. Seems like the oil light goes on for like half a second on start up which I don't remember it doing that before. But who knows

can't reaaly tell in your pic.. isn't the oil light sposed to come on when you start up and then go right off? mine does most of the time like the gen light but not everytime, typical Guzzi electrics.

• 3 weeks later...

so I'm pretty sure I've got a timing cover leak. After trying the aerosol foot powder trick a couple times. But now I think I've got either a clutch slave cylinder leak or a cable leak?? not sure which. The strange thing is that I never notice any fluid missing, yet I can find fluid all the way to the trans. drain plug. I've never felt any difference in lever feel at the clutch either.

Is it possible that I have a hydraulic leak?

photo(5).JPG

Scary, man! That looks like a still from a Hitchcock film. :o

If it's that dark out in the shed, I'd recommend you don't back out there til March!

• Like 1