timing cover leak but what else?

czakky

I would suggest a big hammer instead of heat. If you talk of heat you should think of an acetylene burner, a big one even. Anything else is useless.

Take a big hammer in such a case, and a solid iron, and then bounce the head of the bolt with one good punch. You'll be able to tell a good punch, you'll have felt the bolt coming so to say.

Use the best quality tools only. A socket that breaks because it's too hard will do damage to you and the part you're working on. Never a length extension on a ratchet.

Hubert

Even if a thwack doesn't break the grip in its own right, it can give enough movement to open a path in the corroded threads for releasing fluid to get right in. Worked for me over the years on really old neglected bikes.

Heat... Bang... Lube... Wait... Wrench.

The only reason it never worked for my rebellious upper sump screw was that the socket head was totalled before I even started.

There are lots of (expensive) penetrating fluids out there, but check out a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone.

(not for use as a fork oil!)

There are lots of (expensive) penetrating fluids out there, but check out a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone.

Hmm! Who told you about that one?

An old timer with no teeth and a spittoon, I'll wager... and a shed full of pristine restos!

Hmm! Who told you about that one?

An old timer with no teeth and a spittoon, I'll wager... and a shed full of pristine restos!

Small world! You know motowfo, too! :oldgit::drink:

I also have a timing cover leak and it did become an annoying mess. I'm not proud of it but i had a number of irons in the fire and ended up giving it a good cleaning and a light smear of black RTV. That was a year ago and I will get to it soon. Best thing is to clean it and then ride it looking often for the fresh oil.

Be deliberate when you do this . You want to do this once and once only.

You clearly have seen me work before with advice like that.... I have the attention span of a gnat after a triple espresso.

Here, I thought working on our own motorcycles could rate somewhere on the same page as Bomb Squad. Some of these things, you do not want to screw up! :o

• Like 1