timing cover leak but what else?

czakky

Cover off! So you can probably guess my next question.... Where do all these bolts go?..... Kidding.

How do you tell what a worn out cam chain tensioner looks like? I read up a little on past threads and it seems like failures are few and far between. The tensioner has like a 1-1.5 mm of play on it.  Compared to any other tensioner I've seen there really isn't much tension. I have pics but they don't really show much.

Sorry if you guys feel like you're holding my hand through this I have aspirations to one day be a grizzled old Guzzi vet, and you guys are all helping me realize this dream!

photo(1).JPG

Grooves are pretty shallow.

Went ahead and slapped her back together.  I had the metal  gasket which I thought seemed oxymoronic, but what do I know. Snugged the timing screws all up, not tight but snug and then I notice a piece of my crank seal didn't cooperate. D'oh! Loosen all 72 screws again set the seal and tighten em all up. I used a tiny amount of this Hylomar stuff on both sides of the gasket.....

Preliminary results not good..... I didn't have time to go for a real ride but there appears to be some weeping in a new area.

I shouldn't have trusted this metal gasket. Gstallions your advice about taking my time and working deliberately were echoing around when I saw that crank seal. D'oh!

Just realized what you meant Docc.

No, really, this is the time!

Get two cranks seals. You have already screwed up the installed one, you might not get the first replacement, just... right... so that way you have another available while the process is fresh in your head. Saves you a bit of waiting for the mail. 

After several gaskets on my timing cover failed early on during the warranty period, I finally just removed the gasket and used Hylomar (if I recall) in its place. Hasn't leaked in the past 10 years.

Yamabond 6B would also work well, it is made for metal to metal contact and is black so it will not stand out as a funny line. 

I would go with the Loctite 515 gasket elimintor.. Not too expensive , you can go together  ( w/no oils) w/o a gasket . The Yamabond is a good choice too. 

Practice on some spare parts before doing this. You need a good application w/just enogh to ooze out of the joining surfaces .

No....Hylomar is one of the best gaket dressings ever made. I just use the Loctite in place of gaskets whenever possible. You just have to use it on similar metals.. e.g. aluminum on aluminum . Sanitary surfaces & a good bead on the surface.