MGNA recall hits home

Steve G.

I was beginning to think I would slide through without a problem but no. I got my letter today from MGNA. No sure if it affects all the bikes, but the VIN range is from ZGUKRAKR8YM111929 -- ZGUKRAKR11M114435, mfg dates Oct 99 to April 01. It is to install new improved shift rings and a redisigned Cush-drive assembly. Something about the sleeves for engagement of third and sixth gears breaking up and locking the gearbox.

I've done alot of high speed running last year with the bike. Glad I was wearing leathers in case I found myself out on my ass if it were to have spit me off.

I'm going to take this opportunity to have many things checked. Clutch rivets for looseness, gearbox case for cracks at frame bolt up join. Hopefully they have given the shops the go ahead to renew any seals that may be fiddled with.

Steve G.

Hey cool. My tansmission is already in the shop for the cracked case repair and if it's just the last 6 digits that apply, I'm eligible for the upgrade. Me first! Me first! Me first!!!

ZGUKRAKR21M113598

I talked to my dealer today, and he has ordered all parts needed. It was his second call today for the same problem, on a Rosso. He was a bit surprised that there were any. He got a message 2 weeks ago saying that no recall was going to happen in Canada, which we both found silly as the bikes in Canada go through MGNA and not directly from Italia. He relayed what was said to him, that no parts are left in stock at MGNA and that a big parts shipment will be coming from Mandello in 3 weeks.

Well at least the weather here is kind of crappy, I could ride but not much fun.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest John Sears

Has anyone here actually had this failure occur? Any symptoms of impending failure?

I talked to Moto International and they said they've seen it in one out of 32 bikes, and didn't think I need to stop riding. My V11S is my main daily transportation, so I'm hoping to keep riding it while I'm waiting for them to get the parts in to take care of it. They're planning to do these in groups, and I'm currently scheduled to be the 3rd bike in the 2nd group, so it may be a while...

Thanks!

John S.

'01 V11 Sport

Yup. I'm uder the recall. The dealer loves this one - he doesn't have to address the removal or installation at all. I'm not sure that it would be a good idea for everyone to do the same thing though. :lol:

Hi John,

I can tell you that my V11 has not been babied in the last 10 months since I got it new. No wheelies, or power shifts but lots of long high speed running at over 100mph in Montana and other states in the area for somtimes an hr at a time. The engine seems to like it, I guess. The gearbox has been mostly Japanese in nature, which is a complement. However, since new it has infrequently decided not to change up from second to third, as the shifter pedel has remained down for some internal reason. The only way it would return to "shift" position was to decelerate with some "firmness", whereby the reverse torque of the engine would flip the shifter back to static position. Not sure what the heck was going on with it, but it never got worse or better since new, with now 22,000kms.

My buddies '02 Lemans has the same problem, only it won't go into 3rd ever. And he bought his bike new this fall from the M.G. dealer in Chilliwack B.C., and road it all the way to his home in Pentictin B.C., in second gear!

Clearly this new gearbox has some issues!

Ciao, Steve G.

I have received the recall notification for my 2001 V11 and am now waiting for the Kit B parts to arrive at my local dealer so he can get on with the job. 5 weeks and counting. It is just as well that it is the middle of winter and the V11 is stored through the worst of the weather. I really love so much about the V11,(looks, sound, rarity). I've lived with it for over 2 years, but at the start of every journey I wonder what will fall off/break next. So for 2004 it will become my spare bike for sunny summer days. For serious journeys in the UK and Europe I'm afraid here is one person who is going back to Japanese.

I have received the recall notification for my 2001 V11 and am now waiting for the Kit B parts to arrive at my local dealer so he can get on with the job. 5 weeks and counting. It is just as well that it is the middle of winter and the V11 is stored through the worst of the weather. I really love so much about the V11,(looks, sound, rarity). I've lived with it for over 2 years, but at the start of every journey I wonder what will fall off/break next. So for 2004 it will become my spare bike for sunny summer days. For serious journeys in the UK and Europe I'm afraid here is one person who is going back to Japanese.

I've got a 98 VFR800 as my primary motorcycle because the quality issues of Italian motorcycles concern me. I like the VFR800, but it doesn't provide the feel and doesn't have the character that draws me to my V11 Sport. Rides on the VFR are uneventful and it's become just transportation for me. Rides on the V11 are experiences to remember. If Guzzi can build a V11 as reliable as the Japanese, I'd also have a Lemans with hard bags as my primary bke.

I've also received the recall notification and have contacted Munroe Motors in San Francisco to order the parts. The person I talked had never heard of a V11 gearbox failure, so that's nice to know.

Tam

In the middle of our first recall trans today.

Parts in the kit do not appear noticably different,

the recall seems to be a matter of metallurgy more than re-design of the

sleeves,etc. 1 sleeve is noticably darker in color, another has a notch or groove

machined in it, but this does not appear to have any mechanical purpose/role.

In short, if you have shift quality issues, do not expect the recall to address that.

Make sure your dealer knows about any other complaints/concerns before the

job is begun.

As for timing/parts availability, I understand 20 parts kits were brought into the US

in the initial supply from Italy. 20 dealers submited claims(1 or more,I sent in 6 the first day) in the first wave of claims, so MGNA sent 1 kit to each of those first 20 dealers.

A "large supply" of parts kits are en route from Italy, supposed to hit in a few weeks.

Then we can start earning the BIG Money!

just spoke to the dealer who's doing the recall work and he said he was waiting for some paperwork to fill out and send back to mgna. he has done that and said the parts for the fix will be in in a couple of days. he told me that mgna apparently has all the parts in the us for all the bikes they anticipate will need the repair.he also indicated that my rosso#67 does not qualify for the cam recall,yeaaa!

scre :D

Just a little 'heads-up ' that the range of numbers can be misleading. This concerns the mysterious ninth digit. :ninja:

The announced range of VIN starts with a "8" in the ninth place. My 2000 Sport has a "2" in the ninth place but is still in the recall.

You would think 2 comes before 8 but, er, maybe not in Italian. :huh2:

If your 2000-2001 Sport is second hand it would be a good idea to cotact MGUS to be certain of your recall status.

spoke with a mechanic who has done the recall trans work on two bikes so far.he said there was a lot of paperwork/form shuffeling back and forth to mgna, and initially there were only 19 kits in the u.s. for the techs who put in claims early. he said to be patient about parts as there will be monthly shipments.

about the parts, he said that there were (other) parts in the kit, above and beyond the parts needed to do the recall fix and that the trans will no doubt feel and function noticably different than it did before. i asked about the cush drive, which has been referred to in other posts and he said that parts were included to address that.

i'm sure to get more specific answers from guzzi reps that will be at the international motorcycle show in rosemont illinois in early february!!!

scre :bike:

I have the mysterious "2" in the ninth place too and my bike (or some part of it at least) is under recall. That was good news to me as I had already removed it from the engine and taken it to the dealer to have the cracked case fixed. So far, one welder has rejected the job saying the casting is too porous to repair. One more try, and then I'm out another $400 or so. As much as I like this bike, I truly should have taken the insurance money and bought a Triumph Thruxton. Water under the bridge. I now have nearly an entire Sport 1100i frame and if it ever comes back from the welders for the torque arm brackets, the whole lot goes off to the powder coater and then maybe. just maybe, I can put it back together.