1100 Sport with 107,000 cylinder wear

guzzisvt

The engine has never been apart.

Never hone nikasil, I'll be cleaning the cylinders and just adding new rings.

I've often wondered how hard it is to seat new rings in a cyl like this with no honing

well look at the bore... still has factory hone marks, nikasil if it needed a hone or bore Id hate to see the rest of the engine.

on another note, ok the engines not been touched how about the gearbox... mine shit its self at 90km

Mine was one of the first 1100 Sports in 97 and came with straight cut gears. I bought it 9 months old with 15k miles on it pretty much sight unseen. I traded a 1991 Ducati 900SS and cash for it and met the guy half way between Kansas City and Seattle, anyway when I got it home the transmission sounded like a Toyota going up the street in reverse. Moto Guzzi ended up replacing all the gears but one under warranty. They hadn't been hardened correctly. After that no problems. I have replaced all the engine and transmission seal at about 50k miles.

I took the head to the machine shop with 2 new exhaust valves, 4 new valve guides and a new exhaust seat just incase it's required.

Here's a nice video on NOT honing Nikasil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFp8aYkHNA

cool, mine had a straight cut box aswell, got 100 out of it well the guy that brought it did he put a 80's T box on it, all it did was wine a bit... keep on hauling man and see ya in another 160Ml