timing cover gasket, metal or original gasket?

SanderVdB

Hello,

I have bought after 7 years again a V11, but now the le mans version!! But this one has a leaking gasket on the front timing cover. Now i have ordered a new gasket by hmb guzzi in germany. I could select for my engine two types of gaskets. The first one is the original carton version and the second one is a metal gasket. Has anyone experience with this last version?

Original gasket:

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p89_timing-cover-gasket--most-big-twins-.html

Metal gasket:

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p66_timing-cover-gasket-metal--newer--big-twins-1st-series.html

Greetings from Belgium,

Sander

The metal gasket is the proper one to use. When you do this it would help if you have air tools to remove the nut on the crankshaft. If you are using a bike lift, back wheel first so you can turn the forks.

Up on reassembly, I would use just a dab of blue loctite on the fasteners. I have seen these leak because they were loose. Once again, if it were me, I would replace the front main seal while your there.

just cause. Keep us posted.....I'm back to chasing the magic smoke  lol

Hello,

Thanks for the replies and the tips. The original gasket was broken, you could see it on the outside. Reason, most of the nuts on the top of the cover where all loose. Is there any type of loctite you recommend, or just the blue one ;-)

I have just reveived this morning all the parts from hmb guzzi, I will use the metal gasket. It Is going to be a busy weekend for me !!

Andy said, "I would use just a dab of blue loctite on the fasteners."

Sander, have a look at your chain tensioner while you're in there . . .

They say Hylomar is pretty good stuff for dressing the gasket. Be careful with the crank seal, very careful....

hence my statement about replacing it anyway   lol    .

I would put nothing on the gasket, its made to "crush" once the cover is torqued down.

"dab" is a high tech term for just getting it on the first 3-4 mm of threads.your not trying to seal

the holes just keep the fasteners torqued.

just fyi ....I have 105000 on mine - chain and tensioner also

have fun :race: