magic smoke

andy york

You guys thought I was messing around about the magic smoke. Well here's proof that it got out.

I'll chase it down one of these days. to damn cold to ride right now.....oh wait ....I'm just getting old :oldgit:

lol

any leads on a white faced veglia tach lemme know...it lost its magic smoke too! :ninja:

Thats some funny stuff John  lol  .

I find it interesting that the Italians were left out of that scenario…must have been an oversight.

We need to incorporate Valeo,Veglia, and ducati into to that somehow.

As an aside to that …I was looking at a Ferrari 308 and I swear its has the same tach as a early 80's 

Moto Guzzi

• 2 weeks later...

I've been secretly trying to bottle Italian smoke in the hopes of getting AY's LeMans fully charged once and for all.

I have just about enough to do up an ignition switch if we can figure a proper catalyst. Folks in these-here parts tell me smoke and moonshine work together . .  :rasta::drink::blink:

I reckon a little clear "liqer" could be used ( or abused) 

I'll be in the man cave this week putting my serviced suspension back on.

FYI anyone in these parts needs suspension work try David at FastbikeIndustries dot com

Great guy, has worked for 5 or 6 of the top teams in AMA road racing. His specialty is Ohlins

but he works on any of them ( that can be serviced. some can't)

Back to the smoke issue….. 

I put a new battery in and proceeded to have "over charging issues. I'm pretty sure i left off 

the hot wire coming from the voltage reg which should have been on the P terminal

I know it fried the tach, just wondering what else. :huh2:  Maybe even messed up the new battery.

anyway …..more to follow :grin:

Andy, the tach and charging rely on a feed from the headlight relay, if the headlights not on the tach wont be working.

Do you have any other headlight mods, relays, extra lights and so forth?

I still wait for the day when finally one of you hobby sparkies let the smoke out of the whole bike, hopefully out of his own then

Hubert

Hubert,

If that snide remark was addressed at me let me assure you I am more than qualified to comment on things electrical.

• Like 1

OK back to square one. Thought I had it solved with the wire Not being attached. It was attached so now I'm still blowing 15 amp fuse. I will assume that

Kiwi Roy will tell me a low and high for AC volts from the alternator,measuring between the two yellow leads. Since I don't want to plug my new tach in I'm guessing

that at about 2500 to 3000 rpm I'm getting 50v AC....If I rip it on up to about 5500 to 6000 rpm I get about 75 -80 v AC

My next step is to plug in my spare voltage regulator and measure at the battery.

I'm not convinced I don't have a "bad " new battery. Its a Hawker. I've had great success with them but this one just doesn't seem right. I have another larger one.

When put on the battery tender after about 15 min the light turns green (meaning fully charged).

On the "new"battery even after 24 hours it won't go green.

anyway

Guess i might have to fly Kiwi Roy in     lol     unless Docc gets here first   :huh2:

Guess i might have to fly Kiwi Roy in     lol     unless Docc gets here first   :huh2:

Oh, man - that's like hoping for the Air Cavalry (roy) and, instead,  getting a boy scout with a volt meter (docc) -

I think Hubert warned you about me already. :whistle:

• Like 1

Well    then it will be 2 boy scouts with meters against the calvery     lol

The stator appears to be performing correctly    AC volts are within spec

Found a "Rick's" voltage regulator at the Duc  dealer( long story) and my new tach arrived.

I don't think I'll plug it in yet :thumbsup: . Also pick up a nifty little short circuit tester. Plug it in instead of a fuse

It starts buzzing and then trips ....after it cools down it resets itself and start the process over again

Being At wits end here, I had a brain storm. I recall that some of the late 90's-early 2000 Duc's had a 2 wire charging system.

Off to the local Duc store bout 5 min from me. (never been there , don't like the guy ) After all the BS of whats it go on-we can't do that

it won't work- I finally ask him to get the damn thing and let me see it. Low and behold its a Ricks 2-wire voltage regulator.

bought-home-pluged in. :grin:

Appears the problem was the regulator. I guess once it heated up enough ( which did'nt take long) something stops doing its job

and there is a spike in current which blows the fuse and seconds later the headlamp.

I think this regulator is set to low cause I'm only showing 12.4v to the battery, but its rock steady. No flucuation at all. And no blown fuses

or headlamps. :thumbsup:

Still need to find a proper regulator that gets me up to the 13.5-13.7 range but I sure wish it didn't have to be a ducati mechnia.

I'd pay top dollar to have an adjustable heavy duty unit cause what we have is crap