Have another quart

czakky

The IT guys here can say for sure, but I think anyone using VDSTS Pro interface can do this. Also have them check your actual rpm (read by the ECU from the timing sensor) relative to your tachometer indication. Be certain you are tuning your TPS and idle setting to an actual 1050 +/- rpm. My tach had me trying to tune the idle at 750 and the engine was not happy about it.

czakky said: "Welded back on...still pinging."

If you're sure that your TPS and mixture is right and your exhaust is tight your pinging could be due to carbon buildup on the pistons and combustion chambers.  I'm pretty sure that's what caused pinging in my motor.  Here's why; 

I fought the pinging for years, and even had my air/fuel mixture verified on a dyno before I decided it had to be caused by something else.  At about 27k miles I pulled the heads and had the valves & guides checked.  They were worn enough to justify replacing them.  There was lots of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers, probably due to oil getting past the worn guides & stems.  I cleaned it all up and threw in a set of Mike Rich pistons when I reassembled the motor.  The pinging was finally gone! :)  ...But it came back :angry2:.  The rings didn't seat well so oil was getting by them and carbon built up again.  I re-ringed it, cleaned everything up, and after speaking with Mike Rich I deglazed the cylinder more thoroughly that the first time.  That did the trick.  The rings seated, no more pinging or oil blow-by, and I'm a happy V11 owner once again :D.

I cured pinging in my motor twice by cleaning the carbon off of my pistons and out of the combustion chambers.  If you're sure everything else is well with your motor that might be what's causing the ping.

Yamalube Internal Engine Cleaner. A little hard to find at dealers (they can only order en mass and is intended for service departments only) but it is designed to survive combustion and clean the exhaust side also. Turns single cylinder Road Stars into twins again, inside of 15 mintues. Do not use near populated areas. Change your oil after application, for real. Yamalube EngineMed works well for regular combustion carbon removal (maintenance) but it wont clean exhaust or heavily deposit chambers (it is Techron in a concentrate form).

I don't like Seafoam. That is for boat hulls. Mineral spirits is cheaper and does as much inside an engine. 

• Like 1

That certainly led to a frustrating series of searches. Sounds like something my Sport would benefit from at almost 90,000 miles. (Although my pinging is currently a non-issue).

This is a fuel additive?

Guzzidiag is Sweet! So easy to set up, even a third generation standing upright, techno illiterate, can't find the "K" keyboard masher like me can figure it out! I haven't even played with the maps yet. Gotta send those folks some beer money.

That being said, my CO was/is zeroed at idle when warm. My tach. actually reads accurately, I've always had it set a little too high 1300-1400, backed it down a bit.

Will/should lowering idle effect the whole rev. range?

Will/should lowering idle effect the whole rev. range?

That would only be a function of your TPS baseline versus idle, no?

• 4 weeks later...

Continuation of the airing out of my V11... Not sure that makes sense. But anyway the nearest ethanol free gas where i live is only 90 octane this is what I had mostly been running. I've tried some different brand higher octane w/ethanol fuel and was having better luck. But after two tanks of the ethanol free w/ a cheap octane booster seems to be the best. I can get it to ping but I have to try pretty hard.

This is just temporary until I get more time on guzzidiag.