High Idling when warm

Lawson

Hi, I recently inherited an 03 V11 Lemans and while warming up the engine the idle shot up to 2k rpm. I read something about it possibly using a generator and needing 2K to charge the system... Thought it was odd, but took it round the block a couple times but upon returning home I realized it's idle was up around 3500rpm and noticed smoke coming from under the engine. It only has 9k miles so I'm a bit surprised by the issues. Any ideas?

From the topic here it looks like you got the key to turn.  Good news!

The V11 has an alternator but it doesn't make enough power to run all the bike electrics and charge the battery at idle.  This is in no way unique to Moto Guzzi.  So if you just let it idle the battery will slowly discharge.  I think you need at least 2000-2500 rpm to get enough energy to charge the battery.

But the idle speed is spec'd to be 1000-1100 rpm.  So unless your "choke" is on, it's not really a choke on a FI engine, it's a idle-speeder-upper, you should not be having it idle at 2000 or even 3500 rpm.  Could be a throttle linkage problem or perhaps the choke is on and you don't realize it.  It's on the left handlebar, push it FORWARD to disengage.

As far as smoke, I'm assuming oil-smell smoke not electrical-smell smoke.  The first is understandable since it's been sitting and may have excess oil on parts that get hot.  Mine oozes oil in a couple places at times but not so much that I'm ready to do anything about it.  An 03 with 9k miles means it's been sitting around a lot.  So there may be dry-rot hoses and dried out gaskets.  See if you can locate the leaks and then determine if it's a temporary or urgent problem.  But it seems that oil leaks in Moto Guzzi's are common.

I'd definitely suggest a complete fluids change as well as the oil filter.

From the topic here it looks like you got the key to turn.  Good news!

The V11 has an alternator but it doesn't make enough power to run all the bike electrics and charge the battery at idle.  This is in no way unique to Moto Guzzi.  So if you just let it idle the battery will slowly discharge.  I think you need at least 2000-2500 rpm to get enough energy to charge the battery.

But the idle speed is spec'd to be 1000-1100 rpm.  So unless your "choke" is on, it's not really a choke on a FI engine, it's a idle-speeder-upper, you should not be having it idle at 2000 or even 3500 rpm.  Could be a throttle linkage problem or perhaps the choke is on and you don't realize it.  It's on the left handlebar, push it FORWARD to disengage.

As far as smoke, I'm assuming oil-smell smoke not electrical-smell smoke.  The first is understandable since it's been sitting and may have excess oil on parts that get hot.  Mine oozes oil in a couple places at times but not so much that I'm ready to do anything about it.  An 03 with 9k miles means it's been sitting around a lot.  So there may be dry-rot hoses and dried out gaskets.  See if you can locate the leaks and then determine if it's a temporary or urgent problem.  But it seems that oil leaks in Moto Guzzi's are common.

I'd definitely suggest a complete fluids change as well as the oil filter.

I'll all but guarantee it's the choke... wow. I've never seen a choke on the handlebars. Thanks for the heads up.

" wow. I've never seen a choke on the handlebars"

Really?

I am surprised when the choke is NOT on the handlebars. Unless it is a dirt bike. As mentioned, the V11 had a fast idle lever that pulled the throttle open slightly to help the engine start and run when cold. If you look at it you should be able to figure it out.

Many new bikes do not have a "choke", but the V11 is not a new bike, yours is over 10 years old. And the V11 was not quite "state of the art" even when it was new. But they tend to be very reliable and long lasting motorcycles when properly cared for.

I also suggest you give this bike a thorough going over. To be that old and only have 9,000 miles on it means it was probably ignored a lot.

It is common that they are not adjusted well on the right throttle body. Both a cable and a cam. Easy though - we can do this!

Your Dad left you a serious bike there, one you will grow to love. Barely run in at 9,000.

How about posting a few pictures.

A shot of under the seat would be good. so we can see if all the wires are in place.

While you're there measure the battery Voltage before and after starting,

The Voltage should increase with revs from idle.

Check the engine oil level with the bike standing straight up, not on the side stand.

Yeah, it was the fast idle lever. I found the paperwork from the purchase and it appears he bought it brand new up in Seattle. Once I get a chance to catch my breath I'll do a fluid change and get some photos up in the foothills.

Nonetheless, here's one I took earlier this week.YxMmluh.jpg