Electrical gremlins multiplied

lemppari

As I was trying to leave for work this Morning, the bike started ok but died every time I kicked it to first gear. I had a quick look and noticed that the side stand switch wire had partially burned and melted having touched the exhaust.

So it has probably made a shortcut leaving the circuit on as if the sidestand was down which then causes the ignition cutdown when kicking in a gear. I'll try to mend it with some soldering and heat shrinking hose, but am I right to assume that it is possible to to take the switch and wiring away, leaving the grey smoke in the circuit believe that the side stand is up?

Why not. Make sure you don't forget the side stand. Never. Besides all other possible risks keep in mind that the side stand is bolted to the engine, the alu cast housing, not to the forgiving frame as it was 20 years ago.

Hubert

If my memory serves me right, the previous owner had removed the switch and I only got it installed when visiting HMB-Guzzi a few years later. Equally I 've never had such sophisticated electronics in my LM I.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_finland_207 using Tapatalk

The Side Stand switch supplies current directly to the Run Switch and is closed with the stand up. Otherwise, running is depending on the middle relay activated by the Neutral Switch.

The factory route for the wire should make it entirely safe from the exhaust:

DSCN1210.JPG

Turned out I had to bypass the switch to get the engine running with sidestand up. Time to buy a new switch, although I rode it many years without one at first. Thanks Docc for the photo, I'll route the next one correctly!