oil leak

rossi46

So checking the bike over after a nice 240ml run and I find a smear of oil on the lower sump, a closer look i find it coming down the from the oil temp sensor!, I've yet to pull the tank but looking up there doesn't seem to be any oil above, can it be from the sensor? going to clean and have a short run to check then probably pull the tank on sat.

P1020178.jpg

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: There is this entry and link in the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist in FAQ:

">Observe the Timing Sensor on the left side of the timing chest for leakage. A simple #112 O-ring replacement is often all that is necessary. That said, mine leaked through the wire lead and had to be sealed with an epoxy. Do not increase the gasket thickness as this will change the timing. Sometimes, the fasteners just need to be snugged up."

I replaced the oring and used some quality liquid gasket like yama-bond. Smeared a very very thin layer on the contact surface. Maybe the oring only was enough but now is definetly thight. If i remeber it right, the official guzzi workshop videos also applied a film of l. Gasket.

• 1 month later...

so guys been putting this off for awhile but now need to tackle it, I'm pretty sure its the timing cover, I have a new gasket but can someone run my through the job? do I need to lower the engine to access the upper bolts?  any special tools needed to remove the rotor? I'm a bit out of my depth here any help appreciated!!! cheers

rossi, did you clean it all up and run it to see where the leak actually starts?

A dusting of foot powder before the run, and post a pic after.

Check that timing sensor first. Otherwise you don't need to lower the engine just support it as you will need to remove the front subframe. No special tools required maybe keep a seal for the front crankshaft on hand (mine leaked after).

There are some members here who have some experience with that (like czakky). Post what you find. There is always an interest in the timing chain tensioner . . .

guys I took a deep breath and waded in! ran the motor for a short while, cycled the gears to sixth, disconnected battery, drained the oil, with the engine supported and the oil cooler removed I took off the front bracing, in the first picture below just in front of the far HT lead its covered in oil!! also oil is evident on some electrical connections, my hose under the spine shows sign of cracking so I'm thinking its the hose! new one ordered so my plan is to replace hose first and see if its split so any tips for this job?? thanks guys

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

replaced the hose, what royal PITA! hose was cracking at either end but look good otherwise , so having a look again I found a small hole in the oil cooler line , right above the alt. cover, would explain the mess in pic. 3, MG what 94 euro for one has anyone had any luck having one made elsewhere? 

• 3 weeks later...

so I had a new oil line made up locally, I discovered that the timing sensor bolts and 4 or 5 on the timing cover where really loose, so being lazy I just tightened them up!! yes I know it might come bike to haunt me but ce la via! :whistle: had sub frame powder coated seemed rude not to

DSCF0022.jpg