Hello! And quick neutral query

stewgnu

Hi Folks,

Greetings from Sheffield UK!

I've had my Ballabio now for nearly a week and absolutey love it.  She's much smoother and refined than I thought it would be, sounds like thunder and certainly an exercise in sweet clutch control.

So now I've got my first problem...  The neutral light lights not.  Meaning I can't warm her up on the stand as I'd like to.

Looking through old posts on this helped me to diagnose the switch as the problem.

My question is what part of the switch breaks and why?  Looking at it it seems to be a mechanical connection, is this right?  I assume a metal part of the gearbox connects and depresses the plunger allowing the current to flow?  Can it be fixed or is a replacement necessary?

Many Thanks in advance for any help on this matter,

Stew.

Hi Thumper, yes, I initially pulled the connector off the switch and found that it'll ground properly against the frame.  The relay clicks and the light lights up.

Removed the switch, gave it a quick clean and a rub with some emery, reinstalled but same problem...

By clean, do you mean you worked the switch actuator in and out in a solvent bath or spray?  Some have reported that would restore the connection inside.

Others have said that, once clean, a change of gearoil kept the switch functioning (RedLine as I recall).

Also, you're certain the connector makes a clean solid connection with the switch?

Otherwise, it sounds like you're in for a new switch. (GU19207220)

Hello Docc, yes i used a squirt of wd and worked the plunger a bit.  I might try that once more just for kicks- I plan to change the oil soon too.

I got no connection thru the anchor point whilst good connections were found on the switch body, hex-bolt, gear lever etc, etc.

I wonder if there's a bit of grit inside the switch preventing the plunger contacting?

Maybe some good swishing with something more like electrical or electronics cleaner?

Worth a try before popping for the switch. The number I listed is for the early 1999-2001 Sport, so be sure to find the correct one for your application (I believe they are the same through the end of the series.)

Hello Stew, why can't you warm it up on the stand are you saying that the bike won't run in neutral? I assume the switch only earths the wire so have you tried pulling the wire off and earthing it then the light should come on confirming a faulty switch.

Ay up Steve, yeah it won't earth thru the switch.

I'll try cleaning it one more time and if no joy will have to buy a new one (£35 eek!)

The main reason I posted was to find out if anyone knew why these switches fail as, to my inexperienced eye, they look like they should be fairly robust.

Yeah, they look they'd be as steady as a rock ledge, but I replaced one at 54,000 miles/87.000 km.

With 90,000 on the Sport now, I guess I better order my next one before long!

I just replaced one because when the bike was hot the N light came on all the time. Funny thing was it fixed itself as soon as I bought the new part and didn't go wrong again for two weeks, which is when I fitted the new one.

Electrics seems to be a whole lot of science and just a sprinkling of magic!

... was to find out if anyone knew why these switches fail as, to my inexperienced eye, they look like they should be fairly robust.

Usually they corrode, build up a lot of green insulating stuff inside (brass contacts).

Hubert

... was to find out if anyone knew why these switches fail as, to my inexperienced eye, they look like they should be fairly robust.

Usually they corrode, build up a lot of green insulating stuff inside (brass contacts).

Hubert

Hee hee!  Out riding today, came to a stop to gaze out over toward Stanage Edge (Damn pretty!) Turned the bike on: Green neutral light!  Had time to mumble "Hoorayy!!" and it went out again. :lol: 

My bike's got a frickin sense of humour!

So I thrapped it around the hills some more.  Just to show it who's in charge here.

I guess you're right Hubert; the switch wants fettlin.

Stew