More air in?

stewgnu

There's various posts regarding airbox fettling to increasing flow.  There's also comments that v11s run a tad lean (earlier on in the range anyway).  Is it worth starting to chop away at the intake or does this lead to fueling tweaks being required, etc, etc to compensate?

Ta,

Stew

Improving flow into an engine almost always requires changes to the fueling to compensate. Assuming your fueling is right to begin with, if your airbox modifications did not require changing the fueling to compensate then your mods did not change the air flowing in.

In theory if your fueling was slightly rich or slightly lean you could modify the air flow into the motor to achieve better fueling. But that would be very unlikely to work in practice for many reason. The two main reasons that come to mind off hand are that airflow mods tend to affect flow across the board while being lean or rich tends to change across the rev/throttle opening range as well as how hard it would be to hit that target if things were that simple and applied across the board.

I tried opening up the "snorkels" on my V11 Sport as per details here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=918&hl=snorkels&page=6

The issue I had was the my bike would run leaner when I rode faster (I have an AFR gauge on my bike). I have since put the stock air box lid back on, and use a paper filter. 

Ken