technical topics

Guest Warren Rhen

Guest Warren Rhen

Well my 02 Le Mans that I just brought with 1500 miles on it has left me sit. I put about 50 miles on it today in 20 degree weather and everything works perfect. Then I decided to rotate the shift lever on the trans to reverse the shift pattern to make it the same as the rest of my bikes. Everything was fine but I wanted to lengthen the adjustable rod a little to get the hieght right.when I went out to road test again nothing worked right or consistant. It wouldn't shift down. It wouldn't go out of neutral sometimes and then it wouldn't get out of third or forth. Nothing worked right. I say a thread on the forum about springs in the trans. Does this sound like those symtoms? Can you change them without removing the trans? Did you guys get any of the new ones made yet? TIA :(

Warrren,

It sounds more like the throw might be bringing the lever in contact with the starter cover.

Although I'm a lttle cofused about your changing the pattern. 1-up,5-down? You have the lever pointing backwards? What?

Guest Warren Rhen

Yes, 1 up 5 down It fells so much more natural to me and I've changed every bike I've had since about 96 to that pattern. It's too hard trying to remember which way to shift if you own a couple bikes with different shift pattern. Yes the shift lever othe splined shaft is now facing rearward. I checked the clearance everywhere and it was OK. I evenchanged it back to the way it should be and it still won't shift right. :(

Guest Warren Rhen

Problem solved. When I put it back to the stock shift pattern I moved it one spline too many and it was interferring with the nut in front of it. Thanks guys :o

The shift is shorter than stock now. I like it much better, I haven't had a problem with false neutrals since I changed. I used to get them quite frequently.

Guest Warren Rhen

Thanks OG. I did a similar deal with my Gran Canyon. I just thought I could get away without making anything for the LeMans. But I will change it because I'm so used to it now and I like it so much better than the standard way. The first bike I changed it on was a Buell S3T back in 97. I scared myself a couple of times by almost ripping my foot off by having it under the shifter to shift up while still being leaned over exiting a turn. Since then it has become so natural I can never rember how to shift on a stock shifter :homer: