fitting exhaust and crossover pipes to V11

ports

Hi,

I've recently ordered a set of mistral exhausts and mistral crossover pipes for my V11 sport (03). With regards to installing them is there anything that needs to be done  such as tuning ecu or are just bolt on?

Cheers

Ports

I fitted a Mistral cross over yesterday and i can't feel any difference in performance over the stock collector box just makes a bit more noise, also the pipes are too loose where it slides on to the headers  so I struggled to get them tight, not impressed,

I also examined the stock crossover and there's nothing in it so it isn't a restriction anyway.

It is not so much that the stock crossover is a restriction as it simply does not do much to make additional power. It does not do a good job using the energy of one side to help get the exhaust out of the other side. It is more about reducing noise. It has a baffle in it for noise reduction.

Have you done any actual tuning or dyno work on it?

Seems odd that it does not fit as intended.

Hi,

I've recently ordered a set of mistral exhausts and mistral crossover pipes for my V11 sport (03). With regards to installing them is there anything that needs to be done  such as tuning ecu or are just bolt on?

Cheers

Ports

Nope, I run Mistrals and x-over on my Scura and it's a straight forward job. Don't forget to Dyno your bike afterwards, a PC-V is recommended when you start fiddling with the zorst. Happy riding!

Søren

It is not so much that the stock crossover is a restriction as it simply does not do much to make additional power. It does not do a good job using the energy of one side to help get the exhaust out of the other side. It is more about reducing noise. It has a baffle in it for noise reduction.

Have you done any actual tuning or dyno work on it?

Seems odd that it does not fit as intended.

Not had it on the dyno but have ridden it with both x overs and can't tell any improvement, I will keep the Mistral on for now as i can see your point about better scavenging. 

Also im thinking abt K&N air filter and pod filters. pod filters mainly because they look good. Do you know if makes much difference to performance. 

cheers

Pods usually cost you a small amount of power in most parts of the rev range and sometimes offer a small improvement in power at certain rpms. Typically, unless your air box is a really crappy design, pods will produce less total power when you compare the total area under the curve.

They can also make tuning a bit trickier. Whenever you make changes to either the air going in to or the air coming out of an internal combustion motor you can expect to need to make changes to the fueling of the motor, especially if you want to see gains from the "into" or "outa" improvements. There is always a chance that the changes in flow will improve things without making fueling changes, but that requires that your fueling was not optimum before the changes and the changes you made happen to compensate for the mis-adjusted fueling and now the fueling is closer to being correct. BUT THAT IS EXTREMELY UNLIKELY AND YOU SHOULD NOT COUNT ON THAT.

There are more than a few people on here that run pods. Yes it does look cool and it can be made to work pretty well. It is unlikely that the small decrease in performance that would result from running pods would be particularly missed by you but it can complicate the tuning of the bike, How much is hard to predict as Guzzi's seems to have a wide range of tuning requirements compared to other brands. Your particular Guzzi may be very easy to get the run on pods or it could be quite hard. The only way to know for sure is to try.

Or you could not. While I also like the looks of pods I am more concerned about making it run as well as possible, and that requires an airbox. As it sounds like you swapped crossovers without any dyno time or tuning adjustments I am concerned that you need to understand the statement in this about airflow before you try.

And a Power Commander (PCIII or PCV) is an aftermarket fueling adjustment widget. It is one of at least three ways you can adjust the fueling of your Guzzi.

• Like 1

Thnks the post guzzimoto. 

slipped the mistral reverse cones on this morning, have left the crossovers of another time when can get it tuned. They look and sound great especially without the baffles. It seem to have soften everything up, even the clutch feels easier to pull in, not sure why. It revs up the range faster but not sure if its actually going any quicker. I kind of think it has lost some torque. Ive only been on a short 20min ride to office so will give it a longer one on weekend and see how it feel. 

did anyone else feel these type of change when changing the exhaust? 

Might need to put the baffles back in for my trip to italy in a few weeks though. 

It is usually said that if the exhaust gas is getting out quicker then you need to put more fuel in, and you will need a Power Commander or similar device to do this, I have never bothered to go this far, as changing the exhaust is normally just for looks and sound for me, on previous V11's I have tried ditching the airbox and fitting pod filters but it never seems to make it go any better, you will find that when you fit the Mistral x over it will be even louder, your bike will be spinning up a bit faster but maybe loosing torque due to lack of back pressure.