Loose gas tank?

Guest Brent

I removed and reinstalled my tank for the first time tonight, and after getting the tank back on I gave it a couple of tugs to ensure a good fit. When I lifted up on the front-left side (from rider's perspective), the tank lifted very slightly (maybe 1/16 inch or a little more), but not when I lifted up on the front-right side. I removed/reinstalled the tank again, pushing the tank forward as far as I could move it before tightening the bolt, but movement is still there.

When I had the tank off the second time, I found that the hose that runs between the fuel filter and pump runs very closely in front of the left rubber 'wheel' that the tank rests on. I noticed a slight indentation on the top of the hose that could be caused by the tank resting there. If this is the case, then I think this would explain the movement.

I don't know if I should be concerned about this, but since I'll be in for service (warranty work) soon, I'll mention it to my dealer. Anyone else have this movement? If not, where does your filter-to-pump hose run?

Both sides of my tank have the play at the front. And I did find the hose 'crimp' from some entrapment on that left side. But I thought I had caused that as I had shortened the line for the smaller (Nissan) filter.

When i switched to the longer (Isuzu) filter, I cut a new longer line to be sure there's no pinch at that left tank mount point.

The slight hose interference is normal, although not ideal. You can try to reroute it a bit to get some more clearance by "grooming" the wiring harness and fuel-line.

As far as tank "looseness"... some have reported it, but once bolted down, my tank is rock solid :huh2:

Maybe once your fuel-line is out of the way, it will fit more tightly.

al