>How do I clean the gearbox and the rear drive vents and replace t

bikelee

How do you do this ? :oldgit:

Also, when and how do I replace the gas filter on my 2003 LeMans with the internal filter. Should i get this filter from Guzzi or is there an aftermarket one that will work ? Will i need a new gasket for the pump assembly when i put it back on the tank ? Thanks for any help.

Fuel filter is easy...tank must come off the bike though. The filter I got was an exact replacement from UFI. Make sure you install it in the correct flow direction. I also purchased the proper crimp clamps too, which install very easily with a pair of front-end nippers. You most likely do not need a new pump gasket, but since your pulling the tank and pump, just pony up for the $40 gasket and have the piece of mind that your not going to leak fuel over a hot motor. I also recommend a carefully placed worm clamp on the fuel pump to prevent it from popping out of the aging plastic holder. After all that, I ended up getting a whole new pump assembly with gasket and filter included for about $270. See my 2003 V11serial number 1 thread for photos and more info.

My bike only has 11,000 miles. Is it too early to replace the fuel filter ? The bike runs great and i believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is not like i am cheap but don't want to mess up a good running machine.

You are not going to hurt anything by replacing the filter. Get a GOOD brand and replace it. Record the date & mileage .Keep up with ALL your services for you or the next owner .

Yea, I agree with Gstallons on this one. My bike only had 6750 miles on it and I changed everything! (OK, I admit I'm nutz) but it's not really the mileage in this case that we're worried about... it's a 12 year old bike, and who knows what's been brewing in that tank! Especially with today's ethanol blends. Time is the real enemy here, not mileage. On top of that, it just takes one nasty fill-up to clog a filter, so at least start fresh and record the date and mileage like Gstallons said...and sleep well!