Bummer Day...

czakky

Had a little "off" the other day, rider is ok bike a little less so. Wasn't terrible but could have been better. Coming ho,me from work and I was trying to beat a storm (here in a subtropical region torrential rainfall comes out of nowhere drops 2-5" almost daily then the sun shines and birds chirp like it never happened!) passing traffic and otherwise not being cautious. Storm is heading south I'm heading south but I didn't know that. Anyway I'm going where this mini storm has already been and down hill no less. At eighty MPH the v11 does hydro plain in 3-4" of water! Left steering lock-right steering lock as the rear wheel is going faster than the front I think I might have grabbed the clutch... not sure. But she bucked me i landed shoulder/head first slid on my ass and watched out for traffic, (luckily none or else.....) wore a hole through my wallet. My functional damage is limited too clutch lever, shifter and the worst is the kickstand. I'm thinking of having the aluminum part welded back on to the timing cover but am open to suggestions. Sorry for the wordy post we don't get a lot of crash reports so I thought I'd bum you otherwise happy bunch out a little! Kidding.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your misfortune old horse, yet uplifted to hear of no major personal injuries.

Hoping for two things:

1) Your Guzz gets put back together soon.

2)You've come away with some cool scars cos (as I understand it) chicks dig scars!

Stew.

• Like 1

I know it's hard to make out my pictures, but I hd broken off the main bolt that  secures the kickstand bracket thingy. Not the bolt but the aluminum. So after much mulling over I decided to JB-Weld the aluminum back on, then tap the hole that runs all the way through the timing cover and use a bolt that is roughly 5/8" longer to help secure the bracket back on... Hopefully it'll hold :huh2: .

I've got some knock-off pazzo levers coming soon. Then I will try to bend the shifter piece back somewhat straight, if not I've been eyeing the Harper's upgraded shifter. Same with the clip-on really all I need is the tube, but we'll see what I come up with.

Can't wait to ride again, drives me crazy!

This is going to be one good test of JBWeld. Sucky thing is that it could hold for a time, then you find your bike on its side.

Pretty challenging TIG job, I would think though, too.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the extra length of my new bolt will help. I've heard some amazing things that JBweld held together. Of course none that I can voucher for. The welding thing just seemed too difficult, so I'm gonna try this first...

Talk to a few tig guys, that isn't that tricky a job. You can wrinkle paint over the dremel and weld work too thanks to the black cases. Its a leverage point and that is where the brittleness of JB weld may let her down.

Boil the shift lever for a while in water before attempting to straighten it out. Works on levers

:2c:

... Boil the shift lever for a while in water before attempting to straighten it out. Works on levers

:2c:

That sounds interesting. Do you have an explanation for it? Does it affect the cast's grain structure, or is it surface related?

Hubert

In theory the JB Weld shouldn't have to hold much weight, but I've never been a huge fan of the stuff myself. That being said I can't justify spending the money on a new timing cover before trying this. Seems to hold well right now, gave a real strong pull and it didn't budge!

The weird part is that the steel bracket that holds the stand seems to be bent. My holes aren't even close to lining up. This is the single piece steel part# 01433400. The thing is double gusseted and looks super solid, doesn't seem like it could bend....? Plus there isn't a scratch on it.

I tried heating up my shifter to see if I could bend it..... Let's hope the JB Weld holds up a little better.

My needs list is down to a Clip-on tube and a shifter lever.

Hullo Hubert;

Seems to directly affect the cast, makes it surprisingly malleable (within a parameter) but you have to ensure the temperature is throughout the material (boil for 15-20 minutes).

Don't overcorrect the bend you just have to correct the shape to its original form.

Works a charm on most levers with soft bends, the Guzzi shifter however is almost twice the scantling of other bikes levers plus the bridging.

but I would give it a go.

Zakky; sounds like you gave it a go..... propane torch or boiling water?

a torch focuses excessive heat in a small area while the rest of the cast races to match it- guaranteed to break.

Hey czakky ! I bought my levers for my 2003 LeMans from these guys. I THINK  the levers on your bike are the same as the ones on my bike. I'm trying to help but if they do not fit please don't blame me.  I BELIEVE these are the levers you want. If you just need the clutch lever I think they can accommodate you. http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1712

Leon :thumbsup:

:oldgit: (Old Gitt)

Finally got the levers that fit! Also bought a homebrew gear lever from Harper's, pretty quality part.

Funny story, I had just installed my new levers (thanks for the tip bikelee) and on my initial test ride I way over tightened the adjustment screw (the one that on the stock lever is blobbed with some sort of glue) at first I was ok but after a few stops and getting smoked by a Fiat I realized what I had done.  It got so bad after a few pumps I could hardly move. Backed the screw out a few turns and I was good.

Thought my stupidity might make a few of ya chuckle... :homer:

Atleast I'm back on the road :race:

• Like 1