Diablo vs Pilot sports

Guest John T

The Pirelli offer of buy a rear Diablo, get a free front Diablo is tempting me big time.

I currently run Michelin pilot sports and have no complaints. Great grip, wear pretty good and look nice.

Anyone here have any back to back comparisons of the two?

I have not tried the Michelin Mans tires but I did have a set of Metzeler Sportec M1 tires on my 03 Rosso (which I thought were the greatest) then I tried out a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa's and I liked the Diablo Corsa even better. Very stable, fast warmup and sticks !!! :thumbsup:

Mike

Have heard the Diablo Corsa have been prone to delaminating when excessivly hot. Ie average summers day of around 38 celcius then take it on a couple hour high speed run with about third of the tread left. Dunno don't lie Michlens and seen the pilot sports prone to cupping and uneven wear when used in anger on heavier bikes ie bandits guzzi's etc.

What really puts me off them however is thier reputation for girp grip grip slide as opposed to grip grip i'm going to have a little drift I'm having a little drift and the next step is a full on slide, your a !@#$ing idiot I told you I was going to slide. I resrve the use of the Pilots sports exclusivly to my scooter which doesn't have the power or wieght to slide uless you crank it over hard enough onto the centre stand.

Have had good results with the older Pirelli EVO and the Pirelli corsa which the Diablo replaced. They keep taliking about its wet weather performance which makes me think it will make a good winter tyre. Unfortuantly not avalible in rear carburated 1100 sport size.

The rear Sport 1100 carb size: 160/70-17? or 160/60-17??

(I thought "michelin" was French for 'yer-arse -on the-street'.)

docc (allergic to Pilot Roads)

Like many , I switched to the 160/60-17 on the Sport (from 170/60-17). Next tire I think I'll go to the 160/70 just to get a little more weight to the front.

Sure interested in how many miles you guys are gettinr out of the Diablos. And , like the Pirelli Dragon, are there "corse" as well as other cmpounds of Diablo?

Guest jlburgess

OK, I'll add my reply to the long debated tire topic. I have consistently run with the best sportbikes/riders on twisty backroads with ANY type of sport touring tires. You need not run race spec tires ('specially on a Guzzi) and they will just wear out faster.

Having tried every major brand I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Roads in (gasp!) 170 rears. I know they aren't supposed to fit a 4.5" wheel if you have one, but it just seems to help get the bike to turn in quickly. The 160's and (I've tried many), seem nice at first, but then flat spot and give you the scary/won't turn in/whoa way too much feeling.

Sure interested in how many miles you guys are gettinr out of the Diablos. And , like the Pirelli Dragon, are there "corse" as well as other cmpounds of Diablo?

Docc,

2,700 miles out of Diablos on Scura, Mostly fairly hard on dry roads. These were normal Diablos - you can get Diablo Corsas which are stickier, wear quicker (I'm told). I got 3,300 out of 020's & much prefer the Diablos.

:bier: KB, Cymru :sun:

Tires feeling is something so specific to each one.

I have tryed Michelin btu don't like it. they are not progressive when start to slide (to my opinion)

I have tryed Dunlop but they are too large on the "Zebulon" aka Super 4.

I just find incredible the Pirelli EVO Super Corsa & have bought a set of Diablo Corsa but not really habe the time to improve weather is too bad here & not the bike as the rear shock off .

The Metzeler Sportec M 1 are the same as Evo Super Corsa.

On my daytona rs i put diablo and they perfectly fit too with a heavier bike.

By the way there are also some 1100 sport carbs build in 1996 that are strictly equiped like the 1100 sport Injection so white power fork brembo wheels.

Sounds like yet another parts bin specail brought to you buy your favourite quintesential Italian motorcycle manufactuer. Unfortunatly I have a very early 1100 sport one with colour coded forks which I believe makes it a 94. I think the latter sports were fitted with Marchsini sp? wheels not brembo's the latter V11 sport have brembos and someone was telling me that the older 1100sport/daytona wheels were made by brembo specially for Guzzi they have Moto Guzzi cast in one of the spokes.

I have looked at ugrading forks wheels etc etc. But I look at a bike thats almost ten years old with 81 000 kms on the clock (65 000 of them I'm responsible for) and has served me well . Besides better handling I would also like more power beyond the Klien carbs and termi exhasut that is already fitted to it.

Think the money will be much better put towrads something a bit newer a bit more modern like the MGS01 so whats the latest rumour on the series version. When and where are they going to start racing the corse versions?