Do I have to grease the driveshaft?

Anders

I'm thinking about selling my 1100sport ie and buying a V11 LeMans.One of many questions that comes to mind,

do you grease the driveshaft in three awkward places on the V11 too,like the 1100sport?

Piece of cake, when you change the back tire, disconnect the suspension, loosen off the two swing arm pivots, remove the two pinch bolts clamping the front uni joint and drop it right out.

A word of caution, when replacing the two pinch bolts be very careful to center the holes with the indent in the shaft otherwise the treads will chew off the bolts.

Make sure the factory paint marks line up if you uncouple the spline at all.

Thanks Kiwi_Roy,

so you only grease it when changing rear tire? I use to grease the 1100sport about twice every summer.Maybe that's overdoing it though,as I try to avoid riding in rain.

The way I grease the front zerk is to take a needle zerk push into the the intended spot without being attached to your grease gun. Then when the needle is in position hook up your grease gun and Bob's your uncle!

Roy's system is probably a better way but if you haven't had the wheel off for a while (or don't want to take off your wheel) my way is a quick fix.

The way I grease the front zerk is to take a needle zerk push into the the intended spot without being attached to your grease gun. Then when the needle is in position hook up your grease gun and Bob's your uncle!

Roy's system is probably a better way but if you haven't had the wheel off for a while (or don't want to take off your wheel) my way is a quick fix.

That's roughly the way I use to do it too.A good set of plyers will help putting it in place/loosen it when your hands are too big.

This thread was well timed for me, I just got a tube of grease for the gun a couple days ago. 

However... Bob's not even my distant relative right now. Lubing the driveshaft is one of the last remaining items on my "break-in" service list. I got 2 out of 3 zerks done - no problem. I pulled the rear wheel and still can't get my grease gun on the zerk fitting toward the front.

What is this "needle zerk" that causes Bob to marry my mother's sister?

I don't mind removing the shaft - probably a good idea to lube the splines while I'm there. But I'd like to learn the trick - please help.

Haha, let's get Bob to the family reunion here. The "needle zerk" as i called it, is just that, a zerk with a needle on it. Didn't want somebody to confuse it with a screw on type needle fitting. I picked mine up at Fastenal I believe or Ace. Even using this method Bob will not marry your mother's sister without a few big words being said. It still sucks but is the best way I've found.

Well - I stopped shy of removing the shaft and lubing the splines (another day...). But I have figured out how to get Bob in the family. Which was important, because I think he really likes my mom's sister.

All you need are a couple brass fittings from the plumbing department of your local True Value hardware store (I love that store) to modify the grease gun.

IMG_2636.jpg

Then it popped right on from behind with the wheel out - without removing or loosening anything related to the driveshaft or suspension.

IMG_2635.jpg

As "proof of concept" I was able to fit it to the forward zerk fitting in 15 seconds with the bike on the sidestand (time not including pushing it until the fitting was pointing up).

IMG_2638.jpg

No muss, no fuss.  :rasta: Let there be no more swearing at the driveshaft.

• Like 1