V11 Sport knocking sound.

thelonewonderer

Hey all! I have a 2003 V11 Sport. It has just over 18k miles on it. I did the scheduled maintenance about 2-300 miles ago.

Riding home from work the other night, I became aware of a knocking sound. It seems to have started suddenly, as I didn't notice anything until that ride, and it is my daily rider.

It doesn't knock while idling, but from 2k RPM and up, the knocking is very noticeable. I'll see if I can upload a video where the sound can be heard.

I've changed the spark plugs and searched all over for anything loose, externally, but no luck.

I know this isn't much to go off of, but does anyone have a thought or two?? I would consider anything helpful!

A sound file would be very helpful. Is it a low pitch or a high pitch knock? What oil did you use on the last oil change (just out of curiosity)?

Ken

Here is a link to the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h869ANKhGR0&feature=youtu.be

I used Red Line Synthetic 10w 60.

Does changing gears change the knock frequency?

Changing gears doesn't change the knock frequency. I should also note that the knock is there with and without the clutch engaged.
I was going to say driveline, but then looked at the vid.

If I developed such a racket I'd be scared of breaking down badly. If you really want to self diagnose it you're going to need much better help. Might I suggest checking your valve clearances, just for something that doesn't require starting it up again. I got a feeling something has let go a lot deeper in the motor though.

The frequency staying with roadspeed doesn't tally with it being there when clutched on stationary bike.

The knock is there when clutched while riding, as well.
yes, but I'm working on the theory that a noise which stays same in two different gears at same roadspeed comes from after the gearbox, ie driveshaft and wheels. Yet yours is present when stationary, so must be motor related.

The frequency staying with roadspeed doesn't tally with it being there when clutched on stationary bike.

The knock is there when clutched while riding, as well.
yes, but I'm working on the theory that a noise which stays same in two different gears at same roadspeed comes from after the gearbox, ie driveshaft and wheels. Yet yours is present when stationary, so must be motor related.

I believe it is motor related, as well. I have recently checked the valve clearances; they are in spec.

Whew......it sounds like you have a rod knocking ? What is your mechanical ability ? The oil pan needs to come off and inspect the lower end to verify. Do NOT run or ride this until you verify this noise !

• Like 1

Yeah, don't wind up on the evening news having been the centre of a pileup.

If it is a bigend slapping about it's only going to put more junk into the works as it breaks up, until it seizes and your crankshaft is mangled, not something you want happening while overtaking an 18 wheeler at warp9.