Heated Clothing,anyone tried it?

Anders

I'm looking for 12V Battery driven,heated undervest or gament.

It's to be used as undergarment for diving actually.But I thought I would take a longshot and try here.

I know BMW makes this vest:

http://showroom.bmw-motorrad.com/Wind-Weather/HeatUp-Vest.-psc-200004341-jfigMkqloeEAAAE0uNJtTecS-UXCOM-WFS-en_US-EUR.html;sid=N2g6R9-ByiwkR4szmrQRHe0h9jlRORYSAfU=

But the thing I'm really looking for is a fullsuit undergament -thing.

I only found these apart from the BMW Vest:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41570/i/tour-master-synergy-2-0-heated-pants-liner

Has anyone tried anything like this?

I found I could run my Gerbings jacket (77 watts) if I keep the rpm up and shut it off in stop-and-go traffic.

Using, also, the gloves (22 watts) was not successful (99 watts total).

Once you have the garment (I would get a vest if I did it again), plug it in and check your voltages at the battery at various rpm. If I understand Kiwi_Roy's advice, the regulator will not see the voltage drop in a direct accessory circuit and compensate for the charging.

I have Klan socks, fleece and gloves. Rarely use them. To much of a faff for our climate. Heated wrap around grips. The Klan stuff is good, I just can't be bothered with it.

I wonder- Would it be a daft/unnecessary idea to locate a separate battery somewhere?

P'raps one of those teeny tiny lithuim ones??

Not wise in the way of electrics myself so I acknowledge this may sound foolish... :homer:

Stew

Oh! I've got a buddy with one of those jackets - he loves it! Self contained using a power tool battery (not from the bike's electrics). Brilliant! And: easy to carry an extra battery (rechargable).

I wonder- Would it be a daft/unnecessary idea to locate a separate battery somewhere?

P'raps one of those teeny tiny lithuim ones??

Not wise in the way of electrics myself so I acknowledge this may sound foolish... :homer:

Stew

My 2001 BMWR850R was non ABS, but had the compartment for it. Made a great storage place for a leisure battery. This would charge when I was riding but was isolated from the bike by a relay on the oil warning circuit. Therefore you could run the leisure battery flat and still have the bikes battery for starting.
  • Like 1

A "leisure battery"  - never heard that one before. Learn something here every day!

Meh! Kinda sole that phrase from the caravaners and camperers 

They have a battery in the car or in the van part of the camper, then have a secondary battery for lighting and alike in the living area when the caravan or camper is parked up. Those batteries are of the deep drain type, designed to be run to full discharge and re-charge repeatedly. I used to work in oil refining and some of the systems had battery back ups which had similar qualities only more compact.