Spit, Sputter, Hiccup, Cough at around 3,000 RPM

Rhino1

I took my header pipes off recently (Le Mans Tenni) There weren't any gaskets in there either. Doesn't help you much with your splutter though.

I had a major splutter when I picked it up. Throttle cable had come off the rounded cam on the left. Rode home 150 miles with the throttle operated by the TPS. It was a relief to spot something so simple. Battery was flat when I went to see it, but I should have insisted on a test ride.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Not sure to be honest.  Gutsibits and parts diagram suggested there should be gaskets, but header flanges appear to be nicely machined flat and there was no sign of any 'blowing' without gaskets.  I got some, but maybe they're not essential.

I found that my right sparkplug cap didn't quite fit snug enough so just to be sure I took a bit of solder, flatted that with a hammer and fitted it
inside the cap. (I read that somewhere). The engine runs much smoother now and definitely has more power again (not more than when I bought it).
Up to now I haven't found any cracks or other leaks in my exhaust. But I keep my eyes open.

• 1 year later...

Nuevototem- if you are referring to the hiccup and sputter, most folks have found that a good tune up will more than likely clear the problem.  Adjust the valves (.006Intake-.008Exhaust), Sinc/balance the throttle bodies and adjust the TPS if necessary.  Everything is pretty well explained in Docc's "Tank Off Maint." thread. 

Don't be afraid to ask for advice, everyone here is very helpful.

Jerry 

• Like 1

Mine recently started catching a bit again around 2,750.  I happened to take the headers off to rub 'em back + shine them up.  When replaced the problem was gone.  Perhaps they weren't nipped up good previously? :huh2:

When I pulled my heads off a few years back I discovered that there were no gaskets at all in there.  Don't know if that was due to the previous owner or the factory, but I put new ones in when I put it back together.  I only had the lean cough when the exhaust nuts got loose when there were no gaskets installed.

The gaskets can pretty much merge with the cylinder head. Take a screw driver and scrape some carbon off and see if you can get between the head and the gasket. My bet the old ones are there.