Voltmeter / Charging indicator - What are you using and how is it wire

danl

Looks promising. Is the unit backlighted? Looks like a "button" and three indicator lights (what do they do?)

BTW, Scud - your voltages are on the marginal side. Look at conditioning your AGM (12.5v is 75%) and make efforts to get your charging voltage  above 13.8, ideally 14.2.

More stuff to learn? Ok, I did not expect such a thorough eduction when I got this bike (and joined this forum).

The wire is connected directly to the battery. I ran it behind the headlight where I can also plug in the charger or USB adapter; it has a 7.5 fuse. I think the Battery Tender product is only intended to test batteries at rest - in fact, they don't even call it a meter, they call it a "Voltage Indicator." The button just wakes it up for about 10 seconds, then it displays the voltage digitally (not backlit) and lights up Green for charged (>12.0v), Yellow for low (11.6v to 12.0v), and Red for discharged (

I just tested it again and payed closer attention to the numbers

• Bike at rest without key: 12.6
  • Bike off, but key on: 12.1
  • Running at 4,000 RPM: 13.7

FYI - high beams were on for key on and running tests.

Also used multi-meter for two tests (would need another set of hands to test while running)

• Key off: 12.62
  • Key on: 12.20 (high beams still on)

While they call this product a voltage indicator, it seems to also be a fairly accurate meter.

The battery is new as of three months ago when I got the bike (dealer installed). It's a Yuasa with these numbers:

12V 13Ah (10HR)

VRLA

YTX15L-BS (M6215L)

I saw something on another thread about battery conditioning, which I have never done before. I also don't know how to increase charging voltage. How is that done? And if you don't mind, could you explain why 14.2 volts charging is important?

It's not important to reach 14.2, your 13.7 is good enough and probably easier on the battery.

I can tell you how to increase the charge Voltage but need to know more about your existing wiring.

Headlamp size?

Do you have headlight relays?

OEM regulator?

Sent you a PM

Roy

• Like 1

Play off Kiwi_Roy's post and go with his expert recommendations.

I suggested the 14.2 based on the Hawker Odyssey specifications for the PC545 AGM that needs re-charged from below 90% (12.65v). Specs on your Yuasa may vary.