Riding Gear

Scud

Thinking about some new riding gear, and I keep looking at Vanson Leathers' Mark 2 Sportrider jacket and pants. The stuff is pricey though - and I wonder if it is worth the premium. My specific question: Does anyone have Vanson gear and are you happy with it?

More generally, what else do you like for riding gear?

I have a Hein Gericke fabric mesh jacket and over-pants with wind and waterproof removable liners that I like, but the jacket and liner are showing their age and the over-pants are kind of slippery on the seat (so I end up not wearing them as much as I ought to).

I'm a big fan of Arai helmets - have had several.

I recently got this aerodynamic Ogio backpack, which I am happy with. It has a laptop compartment for commuting, and it's hydration compatible for long rides.

Ogio and Arai are top shelf. :thumbsup: 

More recently I began using a "modular" Shoei with my long-time Aerostich 1 piece Roadcrafter in grey/black.

Pretty certain you can get them all in black . . . :ninja:

Pretty certain you can get them all in black . . . :ninja:

...so I can be Darth Vader or Batman, depending on whether I feel good or evil.  :grin:

Vanson gear is absolutely worth the asking price--thick, supple, cowhide, well made, and providing superb protection.  I have the Cobra jacket and Sport pants, and a couple of their full leathers (oh, and two pairs of gloves...).  My first set of "real" race leathers were take offs I bought from a more experienced racer at Willow Springs Race Way (here in So Cal) sometime in the late 80's.  They had already been down a few times... I put another 2 or 3 impacts on them, with only one minor repair needed.   They are so reknown for their quality, that they helped launch "New Enough Leathers," one of the first online stores for "recycled" leather jackets and suits, in the mid 90's.  They primarily sold used Vanson product.  They are TOUGH leathers of unparalleled quality...

I've bought a few more products from them since then. :)

Regarding helmets, Arai are hands-down my absolute favorite.  However, I do venture off-brand (lol) once in a while.  For example, I am really enjoying my new Nexx XR2 Carbon helmet...

• Like 1

Thanks Rhino. Did you get solid leathers or the pro-perf with the little vent holes all over? I'm drawn to the idea of the perforated leathers for summer riding - and I could probably get a thin, wind-resistant layer underneath for colder rides.

I did a little more investigation on Vanson's website. The RR22 suit looks like the same jacket and pants that I've been eyeing, but they zip together all the way around the waist and all the armor and back pad is included. Wow - they custom make them to measurements, not off-the-rack. Still a pretty big price, but safety first...

I had some Z Leathers made to match the Sport some years back (enough that they appear to have been cut for much trimmer lad :blush:

Terrific stuff, on par with Vanson, but issues of "fit" and ventilation put me onto the Olympia Stealth for the summer temps here. Fantastic!

I had some Z Leathers made to match the Sport some years back (enough that they appear to have been cut for much trimmer lad :blush:

Terrific stuff, on par with Vanson, but issues of "fit" and ventilation put me onto the Olympia Stealth for the summer temps here. Fantastic!

I bet they're in great condition, colours would probably go very nicely with a Tenni... Would that much trimmer lad be about 5'10", a lean 170lb?

I bet they're in great condition, colours would probably go very nicely with a Tenni... Would that much trimmer lad be about 5'10", a lean 170lb?

You looking for a date or making a bid on my leathers? :whistle:

IMG_3535.jpg

I know I'm not asking for a date. If they are for sale and fit, I'm interested.

I had some Z Leathers made to match the Sport some years back (enough that they appear to have been cut for much trimmer lad :blush: Terrific stuff, on par with Vanson, but issues of "fit" and ventilation put me onto the Olympia Stealth for the summer temps here. Fantastic!

I'd have had to turn you down, in either case. The RedFrame-matched  jacket is not so bad to squeeze into now, but those pants . . . :blush:

I have a wonderful Vanson "drilled" jacket, but it still doesn't flow air and carry armor like the Olympia.

IMG_3535.jpg

Docc's modeling for those 50 voyeurs on this site.

:notworthy:

Personal favorite is Langlitz Leathers out of Portland. Been around since the '50's, '40's if you include their introduction as Speedway Togs, and the quality has never diminished. Still a family owned shop that knocks out only a few pieces per day. Custom work not a problem but you will pay through the nose for their stuff. I've currently got a Columbia Jacket (for the extra back support) with a Cossack Collar as well as some padded pants. A lot of their clients are geared toward the cruiser look but they also have some nice race gear. Check them out and it may be the last set of leathers you'll ever have to buy.