Laser cut stainless residue?

Zooter

Gutsibits' windage plate turned up toute sweet ( yes it's a copy of the Roper sloppage plate, but I sent Pete some beer coupons after I found out it wasn't his ), it appears to be laser cut stainless steel, a very slight scorch around the holes.

Most of the holes have a weird micro fibrous stuff on them around part of the circumference. It could be paper fibres scraped onto it but looks more like spider silk, gums up in my finger, strange strange stuff. Any ideas?

Not sure what the residue is but clean that thing with acetone or some such strong solvent, deburr every cut, then clean it again.   You do not want foreign matter in the crankcase.  I think we just identified how they undercut Pete.  I bought a roper plate second hand from an owner who never installed it.  The cuts were clean enough that I considered not deburring every edge, but still did.

The protective plastic that is used to keep the sheet steel from getting scratched would be my guess. Probably cut with the sheet still present then peeled off afterwords.

They call it candyfloss in the UK ... which is evidence that it was made in close proximity to a fairground methinks. Usually pink in colour, and very sweet.

I used to date that very same girl! Does that make us brothers? B)

Mine was delivered from Australia in a padded pouch.

Surprisingly, there was no hair on it.

@Docc - there are some stereotypes about residents of the South'n US not being clear about what constitutes family membership. You're not helping.  :grin:

• Like 1

Scud - Pete may chime in to confirm, but I suspect they only use shaved pouches for export - keeping the hairiest ones for themselves.

And in an attempt to get the thread back on track,

Zooter - a quick blast with a torch sounds like a good method of getting rid of the plastic - just make sure it's done quickly and evenly otherwise you may risk some heat-distortion of the plate?

Gio

Good redirect. 

+1 on de-burring. My Roper plate is sitting here on my desk, awaiting my next oil change. There are only two rough spots on the edges - the start/stop points of two interior cut-outs (no problems on the round holes). But otherwise, as Craig noted, all interior and exterior edges are clean and straight. The burrs are probably not even a problem, but a 5 minute file job and a quick clean up gives peace of mind - I'll probably hit all the edges with some steel wool too - just in case.

There is only one burr on mine, on the finish of the exterior edge cut. Rest is clean cut aside from the weird clingon fluff.

If you can run your bare finger down the edges without fear of getting cut, then it is deburred.  This is very easy thing to do, don't skip it.