Loose, Rattling Front Crossover on 2003 V11 LeMans

Rhino1

I like the idea of using the existing crossover to patch, and then maybe ceramic coat...   

Thanks for this timely topic. Yesterday, I removed the entire exhaust from my '03. I'm going to take it to a shop and see if they can do the patchwork. It's not going to be in a very visible spot, so I'll probably put it back on without any coating. A weld will still look better (and be less likely to cause a problem) than the crossover. Cheap, easy, more reliable, less weight... what's not to like?

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have removed the front cross over, can I just make absolutely sure you never noticed a difference in performance? My cross over started coming loose on Monday, and 1500 km later there was a noticeable flat spot from 2500 to about 2800 revs - if this is just from the exhaust leak I'll do the remove and patch thing, but if that flat spot is going to remain I'll make up some shims to seal it. (03 lemans, stock fuel injection, madass aftermarket pipes)

PDoz - wish I could give you a very clear answer. However, I changed a lot of things at the same time as I had the crossover welded. I have not got the 03 LeMans in perfect tune yet, but my remaining problems are occasional and at idle; it runs brilliantly. I am not worried at all about deleting the crossover.  As an additional data point, I have the Kit Racing ECU, which may or may not have been modified... 

The welds are not noticeable from most angles. They remind me of vestigial horse toes (aka chestnuts). In the picture you can also see where the crossover pipe was rubbing on the alternator cover.

IMG_3070.jpg

That being said, I think the most compelling answer for you would need to come from someone who changed only the pipes and could give you a before/after report.

I have a 2003 Rossa. When my crossover started to loosen and leak and rattle, I bought some used header pipes ( without the crossover ) from a 2002 Scura that an owner was dismantling for $75 for both. This was for me the best option for me.It was easy, quick, clean looking, relatively inexpensive and NO more crossover to deal with. I think the bike runs BETTER with out the crossover. No loss of low end. The bike runs strong. Just do it. Your views may vary.

:mg::thumbsup::oldgit: OLD GITT.

I'd agree.
I managed to grab some X-less headers- which I wanted mainly for the improved aesthetics but also to make it easier to access the alt cover.
There was nowt wrong with the old headers, possibly I had a rare pair that cinched up tight, I don't know...

I can't discern any appreciable loss in performance.  However, I managed to tinker her into a sweet spot and she runs lovely now.  Which is the most important thing, I'd say.

Stew.

Oh, and mine has the mistral rear x-over plus the damn-tasty mistral titanium cans (run without db killers as she sounds so good).