slave to the clutch... giz a hand

dangerous

anyone been into there clutch slave? as per my 'mystery of the disapearing fluid' thread its time to sort this shit.

now with wheel out etc im really after a little help, as per photos were do I go from here, looks like a plate with the bleed nip and fluid line going in the top, now note its a different shape to the bolt pattens, im thinking theres been different slaves over the times... now if i am loosing fluid down here what do I actually need to replace.

DSCF0616xxx.jpg

Here's a link to the same picture as Docc posted, but with part numbers and prices:

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-cat-1100-2003-2004/clutch-en-v11-cat-1100-2003-2004.html

I was curious about the difference in bolt patterns that you mentioned. So I just looked at both of mine and they are the same as you describe. It looks like there is an extra hole on the case. Therefore, I assume that Moto Guzzi used various clutch slave cylinders over the years on the same cases.

It seems to me that replacing the entire slave cylinder is most likely to solve your problem for the long term.  When I had the same problem on a different bike (as mentioned in your "case of..." thread) the rebuild only lasted a short time. Then I put a whole new slave in and it lasted till I sold the bike recently.

I've never had this problem but I guess the fluid is either going into the gearbox or the bell housing, whatever it looks like you need a new slave cylinder or the seal if you can get one, as far as getting at it is concerned I think I would remove the swingarm, if you already have the wheel out its just the shock bolt and the two swingarm pivots.

It seems to me that replacing the entire slave cylinder is most likely to solve your problem for the long term.  When I had the same problem on a different bike (as mentioned in your "case of..." thread) the rebuild only lasted a short time. Then I put a whole new slave in and it lasted till I sold the bike recently.

and you did all this with the swing arm in place?

SteveS makes arm removel sound easy... but Id rater not knowing my luck, the spring would proberly pop out and Id loose it in the shingle on the drive

I have never done this job on a Moto Guzzi. I was only comparing to a similar experience on my Husky, because replacing just the O-ring was a waste of time on that bike - and the time investment on the Moto Guzzi looks to be much higher.

If riding season is truly over for a while, I would take it all apart like SteveS suggested and give everything else a proper clean, inspection, and service at the same time.

Maybe someone who's actually done it can help. I just took a look as though I were trying to remove the slave cylinder. I can get a 4mm allen wrench on two of the three screw heads, but access to the third is blocked by the frame. So - I don't see how it comes out without removing the swingarm and the lower frame. At this point, if it was me, I'd call a MG dealer or parts supply and try to get some free advice along with my parts purchase. Or maybe this is one of those jobs that's worth paying someone else to do.