Trying new Avon 3D's

stewgnu

Ay up All,

Getting a set of the new Avon 3D XM's (xtra mileage) fitted.

The Pirelli st's that are coming off were appalling: Dreadful crowning on the front, rear flattened off like Herman Munster's bonce in no time, and after about 3k miles was thru to the metal all around the centerline. :angry:   If I could've removed them myself, I'd have trebuchet'd them into the sea.

I am sincerely hoping for better things with the avons, if anyone's interested I'll post up how they bed in.

Stew.

Review looks promising:  http://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-avon-storm-3d-x-m-tyre-review/24967.html

What size are you putting in back?

FYI - I've got 5,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Angel GTs. The back is getting close to the wear lines in the center, but still performing well. Front has quite a bit of life left.

sorry to hi-jack this thread but having mostly used bridgestone's I'm having a set of T30's fitted tomorrow I was wondering what tyre pressures to use? hand book(14 yrs old) say 2.3bar/33psi-2.5bar/36psi. the last set of 023's(just under 7000mls) were run at 36/42 psi as recommended by the fitter! e-mailed bridgestone to get their imput-any advice?

I'm going back to a 180 rear.  Controversial, I know!  When I made the change to a 170, I was unsure as to whether it was an improvement or not.

I've had the bike long enough now to hopefully notice the difference.

A set of GT's was considered but they cost over 40 quid more and I'm spending the difference on new bearings.

The T30's seem good as far as I've heard.

I too have wondered about pressure settings- 33/36 is quite different to 36/42 and, considering that some reports say over/under inflating by a couple of psi can be quite detrimental, it'd be good to know for sure!

I was running the ST's at 33/36....

I'm going back to a 180 rear.  Controversial, I know!  When I made the change to a 170, I was unsure as to whether it was an improvement or not.

I've had the bike long enough now to hopefully notice the difference.

Hi Stew,

I'll be interested in what you think of the Avons, and what you think of the 180.  I installed a 180 on the rear last year when I got a great deal on some Conti Road Attack 2 GTs because they didn't make that tire in a 170.  I've been running a 170 rear for the last eight or nine years.  I immediately regretted the slower turning 180 so I'll be going back to a 170 the next time that I need tires.

The early, low, factory tire pressures are a formula for weave, squirm, and short tire life. But indeed, there are compromises as I found 37/ 42 on a hard compound tire *less than helpful* in a low-side traction loss. :o

I settled on 35/40 with the early narrow rim and 160 Pirelli Angel GT( for now).

Make your tires happy: set your sag/preload/spring selection . . .

Ok, preliminary report....

Does she fall into corners more slowly?  Yyyyes kinda, but new set o tyres- soooo lovely and tippy  :race: 

Does she feel more planted?  Yes.

Still handle good?  Yes.

Avons are feeling great in the wet (rather: Damp, showers so far) and the dry, even though not scrubbed in yet- put only, say, 50 miles on them.

The old tyres were fair bolloxed so might be wearing rosy spex at the mo, but rather happy so far.

Tread looks good and deep so will either be crap or good for ages!

Hot damn but that fat backside looks mighty fine! :food:  Me?  Vanity??  Well she is Italian..

When they're properly run in I'll take her out for a proper burn.  I'm anticipating slightly less 'tip in' but much more stability thru the bends.

Stew.

• Like 1

Now there's a proper tire review with awareness of bias/limitations, and plenty of irrational exuberance.

I also have a hard time comparing tires - the new tires are always better than the take-offs.