Megacycle cam: 620x9 verus 620x10

al_roethlisberger

Since the question has come up in various threads, and will be hard to find again buried there....

Can those experienced with the Megacycyle 620x9 and 620x10 cams offer their observations, both objective(data) and subjective(feel) on the results of installing either of these cams in their V11 Sport/LeMans?

http://www.mgcycle.com/megacycledatasheet.htm

I would really be interested in seeing any dyno runs posted that can show specific results from each cam, especially if the dyno run is illuminating the cam installation on it's own, versus in combination with other variable/mods. This would help identify the areas where each cam shines and offers the most positive, or any negative, impact.

And of course, any other info, catch-22s, fuel consumption, considerations, and general oberservations would be much appreciated.

al

Come on Al! Pull the trigger and get the cam already!! ;)

Hope this helps, but the last mod I did was the cam and the two results show midrange bumped up nicely.

Also, notice no downside!

This done about a year after the first run on a much hotter and more humid day and also on a freshly re-buit motor. I feel confident that things have settled in nicely and that these numbers are probably (hopefully) improved upon.

Biggest seat of the pants impression is the mid-upper rev range. The flat spot that is present at 4500 rpm is just about gone. No need to downshift for those passes.

I'll probably try the Mike Rich pistons this spring and will post numbers on them.

:luigi:

Come on Al!  Pull the trigger and get the cam already!! ;)

:lol: ...oh don't worry, I'm "getting the cam" :rolleyes: , and in my case it will almost certainly be the x9 because of the potential valve issues with the x10 on a stock head.

I just wanted to compile all the feedback regarding both cams in one thread, since the question seems to come up a bit, but is often buried in other threads like the recent case replacement one... ^_^

Thanks for the dyno sheet John! :thumbsup: Any other "observations" to offer?

Now, anyone with some x10 data :luigi:

al

P.S. Isn't it amazing that the torque on these bikes never falls below 60ft-lbs(in your example) from 3-8kRPM(although it obviously does have a dip). And even at near idle we have about 40ft-lbs. I think that's pretty impressive :thumbsup:

When I talked to Mike Rich before sending him my heads, I seem to recall (I'm old enough to claim foggy memory here with impugnity) that he said the 630 was a new cam. I do remember that he said it would he would be interested in how it performed. I also seem to recall that he did not know of anyone that had put one in a Guzzi because it was less tractable on the street and that it was not a drop-in (which we know). I did have my heads set up to take it though, so at least I'm ready in that regard. I'm a ways away from the cam stage as I have not yet gotten the Bugswatter running on the dual plug heads. The coils never arrived, so I have to re-order those, the left head has an oil leak and has gone back to Mike and the Cliff Jeffries ECU adjustment program runs under Windows 98 and all I have is XP (UGH!!!, NT 4.0 was FAR superior to XP, in fact, I'd prefer DOS 3.3 over XP) and the program will not run under that, so now I'm buying an unbelievably obsolete laptop to run the program. Not a big deal, just another stumbling block. That's just one bike though. The frame modification for the V11 Sport was sent out four weeks ago, and it was supposed to be done before New Years. Now I'm being told it will be another week or two before they start. Then all of the parts have to be painted and then the bike re-assembled. After that, the V11 Sport will get the prototype Cliff Jeffries ECU for the WM15. More things to play with. Then there's the California, which I've just plain not been able to get in the mood to work on.

On the brighter side, I picked up a used complete set of injectors, throttle bodies, braces and TPS for a little over $200. This is about $2000 worth of parts if ordered new through MGNA. They're unbelievably filthy though, so a bit of cleaning is in order. I wonder if powder coating throttle bodies is a sound idea for a bit of customizing...

All you need is three feet to step into every camp (sung to the tune of the Smothers Brothers Three Legged Waltz). So, I have an Apple iBook running YDL Linux, MacOSX, MacOS9 and ViritualPC/XP. See!!! I've got them all covered. I won't specify which one works best.

Jason, in case you've missed out on all of my travails with the various bikes, especially the V11 Sport after using it to punt the rear bumper off of a 2003 Toyota Camry (covered in unnecessary depth elsewhere in this forum), the only replacement frame I could afford was from a Sport 1100i and it has to have the rear box torque tube mounted in a different spot, hence the modification.

Sorry for the O.S. comment... Couldn't help myself.

But callison you are my hero :nerd:

:grin:

I would like to know more about the cams though and I'll take a G.G. too.