Questions about first Moto Guzzi purchase...

Mikeoxlodge

Hello,

I am going to check out a 2001 V11 Sport Naked on Sunday that has not run in a few months due to a dead battery. 11,000 miles. Non original owner. No maintenance history.

I am going to buy a battery and see how it goes.

I have never owned or ridden a Moto Guzzi before. Are there any specific things I should be looking for on this bike? Any telltale problems or noises?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I love the look of the bike so I am hoping this goes well.

Thank you,

Mike

Most important is to see if the bike is subject to a recall:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14680

Mine was, which I discovered after bringing it home. A local dealer fixed it for free but it was a PITA.

Otherwise, just see if it is taken care of and assume spending another 1000 to get it well sorted.

Look carefully at any modifications that have been done. I underestimated the time and money it would take to bring my LeMans to the condition where I would enjoy it. It's nearly there now. I enjoy working on it, so I don't mind the extra time involved - but I did end up buying a few expensive bits that I didn't plan on. I've been documenting the project here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18967&hl=

I recall seeing a thread about how to do a pre-purchase inspection of a V11 - but couldn't find it just now. Maybe someone else will remember it.

Meanwhile, it might good to read the rest of the menu - the year-by-year changes to the models:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

if dropped, the frame to motor mounts (front below tank) can crack the engine case- inspect..

tank swell, see how the tank fits around the steering neck, is it even or offcenter, look under right side and be sure the frame tube is not wearing a hole in the tank right near the steering stem on the right side.

#1 These are European motorcycles , not Japanese bikes. They are going to demand a lot of attention and knowledge to maintain them .

They are almost a GREAT motorcycle . You are going to be the final component to bring them to the level of greatness you want.

#2 Ask a lot of questions , take photos and I mean a lot .Post a few on here and we will comment. gather a lot of info before you decide. The sales of these move slow or immediately . Don't be pressured to buy.

#3 What is your mechanical / electrical  skill level ?

:2c: Here are some things to check out:

1. Any oil leaks ? 

2. On my Rossa, the clutch went bad at 8,000 miles due to bad rivets on the clutch plates. They were bad from the factory and just broke apart.EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO REPLACE.

3. Is there grease in the steering bearings ? Mine had none and they were junk at 5800 miles. Too much cianti for Luigi that day ( week) ?  I fixed them myself and not a fun job. The whole front end must come off.

Yes Guzzi's are fun to own. It will make you a knowledgeable mechanic and electrician in no time. Do you have a dealer nearby ?

Remember a lot of this is tongue in cheek. They are GREAT bikes but you must go into this ownership with both eyes open.

I sold my Rossa and i do miss it.

Leon :oldgit:  :mg:  :thumbsup:

If your are minded to spent some time and money BUY IT. Parts are available and for support you are in the right spot.

Did you payed a visit to the owner and saw the bike finally?

As Roberto says, buy the bike

If it's less than $4,000 it's a steal

$4,000 - $5,000 it's a bargain

> $5,000 think about it

At 11,000 miles it's not even run in yet, sure it will have a few issues but nothing we can't talk you through.

It's not a Harley so don't expect it to be anything like your Road King.