Throttle body balance rod repair

jeffachenbach

My '02 Lemans has apparently worn out the plastic insert on the end of the throttle body balance rod. I called Harper's and they said Guzzi never listed a replacement part (replace throttle bodies.........Right!). They also said this problem is becoming common as the bikes get older. It's a bit more than annoying when the rod just falls off the right side in traffic. Anyway, I've searched the forum and haven't found any references to this problem. Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone come up with a source for a new joint or other fix?

My '02 Lemans has apparently worn out the plastic insert on the end of the throttle body balance rod.

Has anyone come up with a source for a new joint or other fix?

Out of curiosity, how many miles on that bike?

I might be able to help you with a used part. PM sent.

About 35,000 miles. The Mcmaster-Carr catalog looks promising. Need to go get a caliper and measure the ball.

The ball is 0.315"/ 8mm.  Overall length just over 29mm.

Thread to the throttle rod: 5mm x 0.90 mm thread pitch (Kinda hard to get that pitch measurement, so it would good for someone else to double check that.

That's low, mine has double that, I'm pretty sure they are original.

I think maybe previous-owner or mechanic practices have more to do with the wear than the mileage. I think these can be decoupled gently and last a very long time - but they are a bit delicate.

The "plastic" appears to be a polyamide ("Nylon"™) . . . and may benefit from "drying."  Dehumidifying the part may "tighten" it. Nylon (polyamide) does not suffer all solvents well. Perhaps you can clean, dry* and re-set?

Yet, mine shows the beginning of a crack at the junction with the jam nut. :wacko:

So, no luck locally on the Volvo part. I feel certain we can figure out a cross reference with a little more digging.

This looks like a good part to have a spare in the monkey-fist trap!