This is making me crazy......er

Guest russ

The reasons it was such a kick in the ass were as follows:

The bike sat for a month while I was trying to figure out what was wrong. It died on the way to work. I had to borrow a truck to get it home. I bought a HD TPS. I had to borrow another truck to haul it 4 hours to the dealer. We spent a night at a motel to get an early start on fixing the bike at the dealer on a Saturday morning.

Joe Eish and his brother spent about two hours checking the electrical system out. He replaced the relay and voila, the fuel pump came on. His bill came to $12.00

He accepted the TPS as payment and a satisfied customer was on his way on another 4 hour trip home.

I now carry a spare relay on each bike.

Costs:

1 month downtime.

TPS $45

Motel $85

Gas $37.50

4 meals for two people $80

Embarassment for not replacing the offending relay in the first place.....Priceless

• 3 weeks later...

nah, its at the shop getting the tranny breather replaced under warranty. got to ride my new (to me) Morini 500 though. Fun to ride but it needs some tuning and new rubber.

Guest bikerjohnV11

Hi there Russ

Just read your account of the cutting out thing with great interest ;)

Only last weekend my 6500mile old LeMans (02) left my wife and I stranded for a VERY cold couple of hours. The symptoms were not unlike the carb icing thing (I know...it doesn't have carbs). I'd let it stand a few minutes whereupon it'd start fine then infuriatingly splutter to a stop after 50 - 100 yards or so.

So, for only the second time in 31 years, I was beaten by a no-go bike and had to be recovered.

At the moment the bike is having a thorough going-over at a good dealer...he tells me the majority of the problems were due to a faulty TPS. Can anyone else identify with this?

John :huh2:

I doubt it is the TPS. That may be what the dealer comes up with but your problem sounds lioke mine. I think it was air in the fuel system. I replumbed and got rid of the tipover. Since mine has happened 3 times in 12500 miles I guess I'll have to see if it happens again.

I had to wait 20-30 minutes and then it was fine. Let it cool down fully. I also noticed that it seemed to happenwhen I had some severe lean angles which I hypothesize got the air bubble into the Throttle bodies.

Just my guess at it, but seems there was plenty of opportunity for air to get in.

Hey guys

I was reading through this in awe of people's expertise when I remembered an incident last year when I was really hooning the V11 Le Mans around some corners scraping the side stand etc .... on several of the fastest corners the bike seemed to loose power at full lean, this was just briefly.

Looking at the tyres I'd gone over the edge of the tread and assumed that this was the problem but it fealt very odd :huh: , unlike anything I'd experienced before, could it be I've got a similar problem ? Not sure if this helps anybody but my Le Mans has the pump in the tank but not sure where the tip over valve is.

Mal :helmet:

I have lemans or scura test article somewhere whilst punting the bike round the track touching down the sidestand firmly would cause the cutout switch to cut the motor. If it was only on left hand corners as the side stand touched down I would say that this is more likely you problem than relay related. Benn looking at toe Coppa Italia as an alternative if Guzzi get a bit too optimistic with the MGS01's pricing. List of mods is to get rid of the bars and fit clipon's high rise exhaust system pod filters get rid of the loop on the side stand resprung for the fatty bastard that will be riding it and maybe a aftermarket ECU something like Cliff Jefferies. Dunno the thing is I am cringing at forking out a premium for a bike then dumping bulk money to get what I want. It kinda indicates to me its not the right bike to get in the first place.