Anyone know where this goes?

Gottagetone

Not sure if this is tech or not but it certainly could end up that way...

I found this sheared off bolt in the plastic cuff that the cables run through on the right side just in front of the gas tank.  I have searched and can't find an empty hole or the other part of the sheared off piece.

IMG_4700_zps8zyy7zwt.jpg

IMG_4699_zpsr6htq55u.jpg

I agree. In addition, I think the same type of screws are used to attach the seat lock bracket. Maybe somebody (aka Luigi) just dropped one during assembly and didn't fish it out - until you found it just now.

II agree it looks like one of the ignition switch screws. I'd recommend taking a look at the underside of the switch as on my bike both bolts fell out (not at the same time). Tthen the switch slid down and got jammed between the headstock and the forks, severly limiting turning to one side.

For me, it slid down while I was parking so it wasn't so bad. If it happened on the road, I don't think I could have avoided a crash.

johnk

The bolt does not shear the head off until installed, so that bolt used to be doing something. As said, check your ignition switch and seat lock. It is possible that it has already been replaced, but that bolt fell out and those are the two places I can think of that use that style bolt.

...and if you do find a vacancy where the bolt should be, you can re-use that bolt by filing it flat and cutting a groove into the head - then reinstall it with a flat-blade screwdriver.

Measure the thread pitch and substitute a capscrew that has a head on it you can tighten and loosen . Those things are used as a theft deterrent or tamper proof screws. In this case it is for the ignition switch .

Thanks Gents, I have had the ignition out and can't find any problems.  Since I found it near the head stock I don't think it is part of the seat lock.  Ill double check the ignition switch just to be sure.

Update, I just looked and you guys were right, there was a hole underneath the ignition that was empty.  Blue thread locker and some needle nose and its good to go...Cheers!